• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More trans questions

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here, since I'm doing something a bit different. I've searched a bit, but anything with AX-15 in the search pulls up a gazillion hits. I'm tired of wading through. If someone can answer these for me I would apprciate it. Perhaps these questions are something for 5-90's FAQ pages.
OK, so I've got the cash for a new trans in the MJ. I've got a few questions.
Right now it's got the drivetrain out of a 90 in it. AX-15 that says it was made in 90, NP231 with a late 89 tag.
Which trans are a drop in replacement? I remeber in another post that it was unearthed about different shaft lengths. I'd like to keep my 231, as it's functioning just fine, chain is tight and doesn't make any noises.
Right now I'm looking at an AX-15 from a 95 with 76K on it.
Questions.
What year did the external slave start? External slave is a must if I'm gonna do a swap.
What pilot bearing will I need for the crank? Does my renix motor have a different size bearing than an HO? Should I just get a matching bearing for the year tranny?
Can I just use a compression fitting for the line to the external slave? I just put in a new hose and MC 2 months ago, I'd like to keep them.
I'm sure I'll have more. Thanks for any answers.

Back