• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Go Stock and Lock

midnightrunxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 89 laredo for $150 on sunday. 4.0 auto 4x4 4 door. Has a factory LSD And Skidplates(YAhoo this is the first one to have these out of the 15 ive owned). I got this just as a toy too go explorin with. Ive lifted like 10 jeeps and its gettin old, so I tought id try something new. Gonna lock this baby front and rear, disco sway bars and put some factory sized MT's on. My question is can I have any fun with this kind of setup? Never wheeled a stock xj before?! NOT anything extreme just some wooded trails and light mud.

P.S. I already ordered some good front recovery hooks and have a hitch.
BEVAN will provide the strap!

You'll be surprised at what a stock XJ will do.
Throw some 30's on it and call it done if ya want.
icon12.gif

Just remember to get some tow hook brackets for your hooks and DONT just bolt the hooks to the uni-body "frame".

Last edited:
Shit, I generally have more fun stock. Except for the increased risk of damage, greater sense of satisfaction for me when I pick clean lines. I think your plan kicks ass.

I wheeled mine stock for about 2 years before i lifted it. It's a blast. Much more of a challenge. Be prepared to get high centered a LOT more on your axles, gas tank, and if you have one trailer hitch. I'd also get a small winch in case you go out by yourself, because you'll get stuck much more than you would even with 31's.

I have an 89 XJ on 31 Truxus MT's. I swapped in 4.10 axles from a different Jeep. I was at Rausch Creek last month and had a great time. Ran some blues and wandered onto trail 13. The new tow hooks remain unused.

midnightrunxj said:
Just picked up a 89 laredo for $150 on sunday. 4.0 auto 4x4 4 door. Has a factory LSD And Skidplates(YAhoo this is the first one to have these out of the 15 ive owned). I got this just as a toy too go explorin with. Ive lifted like 10 jeeps and its gettin old, so I tought id try something new. Gonna lock this baby front and rear, disco sway bars and put some factory sized MT's on. My question is can I have any fun with this kind of setup? Never wheeled a stock xj before?! NOT anything extreme just some wooded trails and light mud.

I like the idea....Just a few minor things...

Armor... Rock sliders... better than stock TC SKid.... and if you have the dreded Turdy-5 axle upgrade it to 8.25 before locking it. A d35 is not worth the time and money to put a locker in it.

I have wheeled my xj while it was stock. I was 4 outings before I got it stuck I was quite pleasantly surprised at the lines that I made. even wtih all season radials....

midnightrunxj said:

lockrite in front and rear,d&c extreme cage,cut rear cargo area roof off,3" lift,take doors off, that was my plan until you bought it :looser: :wave: .

I diddnt see the draw-tite hitch on the rear until you paid the guy that had it...You lucked out dickhole :badpc:

What the hell do you mean I will provide the strap,that thing better not get stuck Jeep master !!!!! :nono: :huh:.

When I lived in Cali I took her out to Bear Mountain. I ran with a bunch of lifted Jeeps, and made it through almost everything they did. I wussed out because I was moving back East a few days later and couldn't afford to have anything break. As is, my rear bumper has a nice ding in it where I came down hard on a rock :) This was on 225/75s. I had one hell of a blast, and found out how well I am able to place my tires.

I would have gone a lot harder if I had some armor. I think my rear diff even got hung up on something, but if it did, there's little/no evidence of it now. I haven't had any problems as a result of the off-roading.

1 other thing I'd do if I had a go-at-it again is get some better shocks.....

compensate for small tires with lots of skinny pedal! but i agree you will be suprised where a stock xj will go. i men obviosly youre not gonna be able to run hells revenge but...

I've run high blues with my stock XJ (on 225/75/15 Dueler Revo tires), and would have made it up a low-black rock hill climb, but the TJ in front of me on 33s dug a hole in the dirt and I couldn't get over it. hehe

definately get armor, though. I killed my crossmember and exhaust on a rock I didn't see. not bad for following TJs on 32s and 33s all day. never needed to use my tow strap

i wheeled my stock xj at tellico before lifting it. hit plenty of trails with minor rock rash on the rocker panels and banged up the muffler and gas tank. got high pointed on the front left lower control arm one time, but thats it. just be careful comin down on rocks.
-tim

it should rock!!!

I agree with skids, and extra recovery measures, otherwise maybe a BB just to get some room.

My yj had ~4", aggressive 31's, 5sp, 2.5 4cyl, alot of mods... it was a blast! I use to follow the 33" crowd around quite a bit, it was challenging, just had to be carefull.
My xj is at ~4" with aggressive 31's, and its the same way... alot of fun.

midnightrunxj said:
BEVAN dont make me remind you when the stock comanche pulled out your cherokee with 6.5"lift. after it drove through the same hole.

I dont like going through a hole at WOT, shit breaks and then when you get on 2 wheels crawling through that hole (you were riding with me you should remember looking down and seeing only water out of my driver window,I thought it be best to be safe and get a nudge at least back on 3 wheels

ME>:twak: <You

Back