• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Laredo with starting problems

poloplayer14

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I know this problem has been brought up allot but I cant find anything with my same problem. To start off, I have a 89 Laredo 4x4 4.0, 5spd Manuel. I have been haveing problems getting it to start. I checkd the battery (optima red top) and it was fine, alternator is chargeing, But when i try to start it it cranks like it has a low battery charge, but will start, then when I get home tonight, I go out to leave again and it doesnt start. I have power to radio, lights fuel system, but when i turn the key there is nothing, the lights do dim like during normal starting but nothing happens. Would this be a starter problem or something else. Any help would be appreciated, this is my daily driver and It cant be out of comesion
very long. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mark

Sounds like a start relay to me. Quick check - take a longish screwdriver, and bridge the "outer" large screwpost to the smaller one. Make sure you're in Neutral or Park when you do - you don't want the thing to roll over your feet.

If you have a "bump" switch, that's the better way to go - but the screwdriver (or other metal rod/tool) will work in a pinch...

5-90

Back