• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy with quick Q....

TheSandman

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to the site and have a quick Q, I am looking to buy a 89 XJ with a 4.0 I6 in it, it has a manual tranny, which is stuck in first and won't come out, the guy I am buying it from claims it has the POS BA10 in it, but from reading tech articles, the AX-15 comes in the I6's only and the BA10's come in the I4 and come V6 models, and they stopped putting the BA10 in 89 right? So does this mean that my 89 has the AX-15 in it? I really don't know how to identify the trannies. The guy says he will throw in a AW4 with 100k for $50 more, but doesn't have the shifter, computer, etc for it....

TheSandman said:
I am new to the site and have a quick Q, I am looking to buy a 89 XJ with a 4.0 I6 in it, it has a manual tranny, which is stuck in first and won't come out, the guy I am buying it from claims it has the POS BA10 in it, but from reading tech articles, the AX-15 comes in the I6's only and the BA10's come in the I4 and come V6 models, and they stopped putting the BA10 in 89 right? So does this mean that my 89 has the AX-15 in it? I really don't know how to identify the trannies. The guy says he will throw in a AW4 with 100k for $50 more, but doesn't have the shifter, computer, etc for it....

It could have the BA10 as 1989 was a crossover year. Look here for pictures to compare. http://www.jeeptech.com/wiki/index.php/Transmission/Factory

Converting to an AW4 automatic is not trivial. Unless you're a decent mechanic and getting a screaming deal (as in free) run like hell and go find a better deal.

The Peugeot came behind the inline six - I have an 88 on its third gearbox.

They stopped with the BA10 in the middle of the 1990 model year - so the 89's got the thing - which is only really useful for scrap. For late 1990, the BA-10/5 was replace with the AX15. A quick way to identify - crawl under the rig. If you see a bolted parting line that runs longwise down the transmission case, it's the Peugeot. If not, it's been replaced (could be the AX15 - may be something else.)

The AW4 swap is viable, but you might need to get a new crossmember - or make one - I think they're different.

100K on an AW4 is break-in miles - those things last forever, even when abused.

You should be able to source the TCU here, if not at a boneyard. Likewise the shifter console, and associated parts. Failing that, there's no reason you couldn't use an MJ column - auto MJ's with 4.0 also used the AW4, but it was column shift.

If you get the thing and decide to do the swap, I could use a clutch setup for when I do my 87...

5-90

These two pics and the application table might help:

How to ID the AX 4/5/15:
AX15ID.jpg

How to ID the BA10:
BA10ID.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back