• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there an amp?

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 Limited has a problem. It had the "jensen premium" soundsystem and after replacing all the speakers and head unit with new I now have only about 10% output on the left side. Sent head unit in for repair- they said "works fine" sent it back, no change. Is there an amp or processor somewhere that I dont' know about that may be toast? Every thing is done properly using adapters and all wires are soldered and taped. All connections checked.
Thoughts?

odd. my friends 94 laredo has an aftermarket system in it...and it works just fine. infact, he's probably blown out those "premium jensen"(paper crap *cough*) speakers simply by sending them 30-50 watts with that hi-end alpine deck.

probably just a shorted wire. maybe in the door seam.

Wires have been replaced. What's odd is that I have some output in both speakers but not full. I'm going to rewire the whole thing as soon as I can get it inside to do so.

Check the balance. It would not be the first time I have seen it. When the factory would have tested it they only would have checked for output at the end of the speaker wires and not actually hooked it up to speakers to check it. most systems did not have and amplifier. If the wires were changed as well as the head unit it would be a completely independent system. Any problems would be with something you installed. Also was it both speakers on the left or just one. Also check the polarity of the wires on the speakers and on the stereo. If the wires have been replaced then it should be easy to see + and - , if they were wired out of phase it would make it sound funny.

asatxj said:
Every thing is done properly using adapters and all wires are soldered and taped. All connections checked.
Thoughts?

Try a different set of speakers *OR* swap sides left to right. If the problem is in the head unit you will know.

Bypass the wires and go directly from the head unit to the speaker behind the door panel. If the problem is in the wiring you will know.

If nothing helps, check for moisture in the door. A damp coil moving through a magnet will cause the speaker to drag and short circuit.

Tom in KY, former IASCA car audio competitor.

polarity x2. maybe a bad ground on the head unit. what you could do is throw the junk head unit away, replace it and rewire the whole thing.

when i bought my 00 xj, it had a six disc changer and blah blah. I brought it home and redid the entire stereo within hours, literally. i tried to give the changer away for free, and the guy said are you sure it works? I replied, i don't know, i don't use that type of electronics.

Tom in KY said:
Try a different set of speakers *OR* swap sides left to right. If the problem is in the head unit you will know.

Bypass the wires and go directly from the head unit to the speaker behind the door panel. If the problem is in the wiring you will know.

If nothing helps, check for moisture in the door. A damp coil moving through a magnet will cause the speaker to drag and short circuit.

Tom in KY, former IASCA car audio competitor.

Shoot Tom, this is a jeep, of course there is moisture in the door!!
Seriously, I've done most of the wire checks and replaced lots of it when I put the sound bar in. The problem just mysterioulsy appeared, that's why I thought head unit. I'm going to rewire it all and check the speakers again when I do that. It's crazy that the entire left side just quit, yet the HU bench tests fine. I'll keep you all posted, the solution will be fun I'm sure.

Back