• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grrr....Borla..

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Just need to vent a little.

I just got off the phone with Borla and I'm not pleased. After blowing $770 on the Borla header and cat-back system for my 4.0 liter 95 XJ, I have to return the cat-back because it won't fit and possibly the cross over pipe as well.

The tailpipe on the cat-back has this strange offset where it exits the vehicle instead of heading straight back like the factory (and every other aftermarket tailpipe I've ever seen). This offset puts the pipe directly under the leaf spring if you don't have an extended shackle, or in my case trying to occupy the same space.

On the cross over pipe the hanger piece that goes into the rubber isolator attached to the t-case mount has it's little curved piece rotated about 60 degrees toward the drive train instead of horizontal like the factory lay out. So I need to either bend the hanger or grind/cut the peice. Of course Borla say this will void the warranty. So now I have to take pictures to prove that it doesn't fit and email it Borla.

I asked them to send me a foot and a half of pipe so I could cut off the stupid bend and run it straight back. They didn't know if they could and if they could they wanted to charge me for it! After $770 already!?!? I said no way.

What a PITA.

I'm done with Borla. :flamemad:

So can anyone recommend a 2 1/4" cat-back? I'm looking to keep it pretty quiet if possible.

Last edited:
stoneattic said:
I'm done with Borla. :flamemad:

So can anyone recommend a 2 1/4" cat-back? I'm looking to keep it pretty quiet if possible.

Dude! Dynomax! I bought the Dynomax cat back for my XJ, bolted right up! No PROBLEMS what so ever. The muffler is a little cheesy, but for $140, I could care less. just mean I can get a better one later if I crush the one I have.

I own a Borla header and swear by it but have never really understood paying that much for a cat-back system when you can go to a muffler shop and get a fully WELDED system for half the price.

Borla is too over priced for my tastes.

DrMoab said:
I own a Borla header and swear by it but have never really understood paying that much for a cat-back system when you can go to a muffler shop and get a fully WELDED system for half the price.

Borla is too over priced for my tastes.

I agree about the price but I live in the rust belt and really wanted the 304 SS. But at this point I'm leaning towards going cheap with cat-back like dynomax and figure on replacing it every two or three years.

I can't complain about Borla's customer service in the least. They replaced 2 of the crossover pipes in the first 3 years when the hanger at the crossmember cracked off.

ChiXJeff said:
I can't complain about Borla's customer service in the least. They replaced 2 of the crossover pipes in the first 3 years when the hanger at the crossmember cracked off.

At least your crossmember hanger lined up. :(

Of course the fact it broke twice in 3 years doesn't say much for the product.

Their customer service pretty much told me too bad regarding the tailpipe and take pictures to show how off the hanger is on the cross over.

If I hadn't already installed the header I'd return everything. At this point I either send back the crossover or bend the hanger and void my warranty. I don't want to spend the money to send it back and wait however long and be Jeepless the whole time. But from the sound of your experience I'm going to need the warranty intact.

I'm not about to hack up a $300+ cat-back so that has to go back.

They definitely should have a note saying that the tailpipe won't work with modified suspension. Gee a Jeep with a lift, shocking.

Nothing but frustration we Borla... I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

stoneattic said:
Of course the fact it broke twice in 3 years doesn't say much for the product.

It also hasn't broken in the 4+ years since I replaced the motor mounts either.

I bent (modified) mine. Up here the Borla was about the same as taking it to a shop and having it done in steel. As for the warranty .... I don't care its good stainless up in the rust belt thats what I wanted .... if something breaks I'll take it and have it welded, I just hate putting on exhaust every 2 years. So its modified ... most everything on the jeep is one way or another.

just my .02
k

I ran a Borla cat back for about 4 years on my '97. That's how long it lasted until the muffler outlet separated from the muffler itself, appeared to have rusted away at the weld. Checked their website about the warranty and read that they required the original sales slip, which I of course don't have. I didn't pursue it further but maybe I should have........

Mine fit fine, but only because I was running a stock shackle at the time. Replaced it with a Rusty's which I have no issues with yet. I'll definitely check into the Dynomax next time.

Dan C

go rustys i got the cat back with flowmaster 40 series(getting it installed next week cause i need a new cat) i payed 170 for the pipe and muffler and the pipes arent stainless but who cares, and they are mandrel bent so it flows real nice i guess, i dont know. but yeah i looked at borla and banks but they are sooo expensive its insane

Shomsky462 said:
the pipes arent stainless but who cares
That's cause you live in CA...hehe. I've had the Dynomax for 3 years and it's rusting thin on the tail pipe section. I'm pretty good at spraying the undercarriage down in the winter too. I'll probably replace it in 2 years.

Can you post pics of the Borla kit? Does it exit like the Magnafow one...

http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15856.pdf

Last edited:
91 Jeep Project said:
Damn, that sits low.

That does look low in the photo but it looks like it's attaching to the factory hanger so it should be at the same height as stock. Maybe it's the angle of the photo making it look low.

UPDATE:

After sending the pics mentioned above I get this:

"Thank you for contacting BORLA PERFORMANCE. The best and quickest way
to handel this problem is to return the system to the place of purchase
and have them switch out your system with a good one. If you have
additional questions regarding Borla exhaust check out our web site
www.Borla.com You may contact me direct anytime Mon-Fri 8:30-5:00 PST
with questions or concerns regarding our products."

I've had it with thier so called "customer service". I've called multiple times and have been treated like crap each time. He wouldn't believe that the mount was wrong and acted like I didn't know what I was talking about.

If I hadn't already installed the header the whole lot would be shipped back. At this point I'm going to modify everything to fit and screw the warranty. If it breaks then I'll just go with another manufactures product and rid my jeep of that piece of sh*t Borla product.

(Notice a little anger in there?)

Dan C said:
UPDATE:
I ran a Borla cat back for about 4 years on my '97. That's how long it lasted until the muffler outlet separated from the muffler itself, appeared to have rusted away at the weld. Checked their website about the warranty and read that they required the original sales slip, which I of course don't have. I didn't pursue it further but maybe I should have........

Mine rusted in the same place in a little longer time, BUT...

My Dynomax replacement rusted out in less than two.

So I've gone back to a Borla.

DJ

damn for $770 you'd think they'd try to make you happy. Appreciate the heads up on that, I'll soon be wanting new headers and that's good to know.

btw. if i acted like they have, at my job i'd get the ax. real quick like. :hang:

You can buy stainless tubing at a pretty low cost and have a shop bend it. I had a buddy bend and weld everything from the header back. My cost for this was around 200 plus a liquid lunch. (Your labor cost might vary).

Back