• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What degree Shims for 6"

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
So what degree shim should I use for 6-6.5" of lift. I jsut added 6* shims to my 4.5" lift and I have a lot of vibs. I am going to 6.5" lift this week. Would 6* shims work for 6" lift better than how it rides now.

im going to guess you dont have an sye, and your wondering why you have vibes

if so, in about 10k miles your going to post asking why your transfer case exploded

wow, thats a ton of shim. I have 2.5 degrees for my FT 6 inch lift and the AA sye with absolutely no vibes up to about 105 or so (couldn't go any faster). Go to sears and buy a magnetic protractor ($3 bucks) and get your diff about 1-2 degrees below the transfercase if you have a sye. no problems since.

53guy said:
wow, thats a ton of shim. I have 2.5 degrees for my FT 6 inch lift and the AA sye with absolutely no vibes up to about 105 or so (couldn't go any faster). Go to sears and buy a magnetic protractor ($3 bucks) and get your diff about 1-2 degrees below the transfercase if you have a sye. no problems since.

We have a winner..........I am in teh same boat as you, 6" lift, T/W's SYE and only 2.5 shims, Set-up perfect and can also drive all-day with out driveline vibe, just unbalanced tires........but can't wait for my Dyna Beads to show up........never have to balance a 35 again.......Its always fun when you search out the only Hunter 9700 road force balancer in your area and they tell you, "We can't balance your tires, Mr. Cartier, they are just too big for our machine." Which I know is bullsh*t, they just don't want to try.

Shit why do people always think I dont have a SYE. I'm not a newbie to Jeeps! Anyway I guess this weekend I will be putting on a different set of shims. I thought I would be close my brother is running 8* shims on his YJ.

JIMBOJAMES said:
Shit why do people always think I dont have a SYE. I'm not a newbie to Jeeps! Anyway I guess this weekend I will be putting on a different set of shims. I thought I would be close my brother is running 8* shims on his YJ.
The reason why people are assuming you have or don't have parts is because you fail to fill us in. let us know about any mods you have. the more info you can give the more we can give in return.

JIMBOJAMES said:
So what degree shim should I use for 6-6.5" of lift. I jsut added 6* shims to my 4.5" lift and I have a lot of vibs. I am going to 6.5" lift this week. Would 6* shims work for 6" lift better than how it rides now.
here is how this question should be asked.
Hi i have a year/make/ model with a ___ lift which has settled out to about ___" i have a ____ t-case with a ____sye. the angle of my drive shaft is ___ and the angle of my pinion is _____. i currently have ___* shims in and am still getting vibes. my u-joints are good and the drive shaft is ballanced. how can i measure to get the correct shims.....

but you leave us with tooo many vairiables so even the answers you get will be off.
so here are some more questions for ya
1 are you sure you u-joints are good?
2 is the driveshaft ballanced?
3 are you sure it's the DS vibrating?
4 what type of suspension do ya have in the rear?
5 are all flanges/ yokes tight?
6 can you take a picture for us?
7 what is the pinion angle?
8 what is the DS angle

I am running a HD SYE with a front DS in the rear on a 96 sport. The leaves had settled to about 4.5" of lift, they used to sit taller now my Jeep sits level. Its a 4.5" lift kit. Until saturday the Jeep only had somewhat vibration, now it rides like it doesnt have a SYE.

The only reason I put the 6* shims is because I was told by an offroad shop that I should run that if I am going to 6"+. This weekend I will be putting at least my boomarang shackles on, which are 1.5".

I replaced all the u-joints in the DS before I installed it. Everyone keeps telling me to get a degree finder which is fine but I was just trying to see what the general public was running. I am trying to figure out if I need to go back under my Jeep and run a smaller shim.

bj-666 said:
one of the main causes of vibes is u-joint angles out of wack if you have a sye you should have the pinion u-joint at an operating angle of about 0* (most angle the pinion down a few degrees off of perfect 0 with the DS to account for axle wrap)

here is a decent pic http://www.xjdb.com/modules.php?set...hp&PHPSESSID=498da23861c4f93e60f06b089e42a9cb
and here http://www.xjdb.com/modules.php?set...hp&PHPSESSID=498da23861c4f93e60f06b089e42a9cb

I am about 50/50 on what you are saying. I think you want the pinion is line with the DS so that the u-joint does not bind up. I need to take a picture but if that is the case my pinion looks like it should go up more. I guess I am confused. I know on YJ's guys are running 8* shims to Keep the DS and the pinion linear. I appreciate the advise. It sucks having my Jeep viberate on the highway.

JIMBOJAMES said:
I'm not a newbie to Jeeps! I thought I would be close my brother is running 8* shims on his YJ.

apples and oranges...

can't compare what a swb w/frame YJ needs...

to a lwb uniframed XJ...

Did you forget to notice the difference in length between rear driveshafts?

:rolleyes:

If you have an SYE...

IIRC the optimum angle is 2-3* below the output yoke...

So if your pinion is aimed at the t-Case it's usually right on...

When torque is applied

JIMBOJAMES said:
I am about 50/50 on what you are saying. I think you want the pinion is line with the DS so that the u-joint does not bind up. I need to take a picture but if that is the case my pinion looks like it should go up more. I guess I am confused. I know on YJ's guys are running 8* shims to Keep the DS and the pinion linear. I appreciate the advise. It sucks having my Jeep viberate on the highway.
there is alot on the explanation as to why you try to keep the angle of the ds inline with the pinion on a rig with a double cardon shaft. search on the site you will find a ton of tech on it and many similar discussions to the ones were having.

basicly you want the pinion inline wiht the drive shaft lower it a few degrees for axle wrap during acceleration and you should be vibless unless it is something else causing the vibes.

JIMBOJAMES said:
I thought I would be close my brother is running 8* shims on his YJ.

Like said above, your xj shaft is going to be longer than your brothers yj, requiring much less of a degree to get a proper angle. I noticed that on Rusty's site that they did not mention whither or not the rig that they are talking about is supposed to have an sye or not, nor do they take into consideration that each jeep is set up differently with different axles, different cases, different driveshafts, different everything. The best and in my opinion the only way to ensure a zero driveline vibe rig is to measure yourself and suck up the week it'll take to get a correct degreed shim. Or order it overnight? Always an option.

There is an autopart store here that sells shims. I will measure the angle today and go get some shims today. Hopefully I can fix it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the help with everything. I figured that I will run 4* for now. I put them in tonight what a world of a difference. I think I will stay at 4* even at 6".

JIMBOJAMES said:
Thanks for the help with everything. I figured that I will run 4* for now. I put them in tonight what a world of a difference. I think I will stay at 4* even at 6".
:clap: congrats.

Back