• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borla Cat-Back

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
Who's running a Bola Cat-Back on thier XJ? Did you have to modify the outlet? How did you modify it? I tried installing mine last night and there's serious interference with the leaf spring. The pipe jogs towards the the outside of the vehicle. If the pipe just ran straight after going over the axle everything would be fine.

Mine was interfereing with the leaf spring on my 89. I'm sure the extended shackle didn't help. I heated the pipe w/ a torch and then put a pipe in the outlet and "adjusted" it that way. I figured the heat wouldn't bother the stainless. That was over a year ago ... no problems.

k

ksmith said:
Mine was interfereing with the leaf spring on my 89. I'm sure the extended shackle didn't help. I heated the pipe w/ a torch and then put a pipe in the outlet and "adjusted" it that way. I figured the heat wouldn't bother the stainless. That was over a year ago ... no problems.

k

Mine's interfering with the leaf as well. Extended shackle here too. So you where able to straighten it enough to clear? It looks like a lot of bending (or should I say "unbending") would be involved. What kind of torch did you use? Acetelene?

Did yours come with the cheesy ricer "intercooled" tip too?

Last edited:
The Borla cat-back works fine with stock shackles, mine ran that way for a number of years.

Extended shackles will interfere. I cut the dogleg off the end and put a straight turn-down tip on the end.

ChiXJeff said:
The Borla cat-back works fine with stock shackles, mine ran that way for a number of years.

Extended shackles will interfere. I cut the dogleg off the end and put a straight turn-down tip on the end.

Were you able to find a 304 stainless section of pipe to run the rest of the way?

Nope. Just picked up an el-cheapo turn-down tip at the local parts shop.

Very well, apparently.

Granted, chopping it off and putting a cheap tip on it wasn't my preference. But I wasn't about to shell out for a 6" chunk of T304 stainless either.

Must have gotten a decent one, 2.5 years later and it's not rusted up.

used oxy-acet
It points down slightly now ... haven't rubbed anything with it, If it does, I cut it. Don't care about the pretty end, care more that it is stainless and doesn't rust.

k

Back