• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Jeep Cherokee won't start

reno1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive, 4.0 liter; the vehicle was running extremely poorly, with hardly no acceleration. Did normal changing of spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, still no improvement. decided to check timing chain and while there decided to change timing chain and gears. Aligned marks on gears as described in the Haines manual. Reassembled and now will not start at all. Went back inside timing chain cover thinking that I set the marks wrong but look like their correct. Also, checked ECU module and crank shaft positioning sensor. Both tested good. What to do?

Do you have spark? Check at the plugs and at the wire coming from the coil. Did you rotate the crank or anything when you did the timing chain and gears?

I had a similiar sounding problem with my 90 cherokee. I assume since you were looking at the timing chain that it was backfiring through the intake and exhaust? If so, you might want to check this writeup.
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb99/techtotech.htm
My failure was ignition related. Hope this helps and good luck!

Bringing a old thread back..

After reading that link, I still dont clearly understand what was wrong and what the correct fix was.

Firstly, assuming you have a problem, what is your year, transmission, history, etc.

Unless you have a 90 and exactly similar situation, I think I would have just described your situation in a new thread with a reference to the old thread. Just a thought.

And, do we actually know what was wrong and the fix, if any?

I have a high mileage '90 XJ (Laredo) and had a similar problem. Check the fuel pressure at the injectors (you can buy a pressure gauge for about $40 from any auto store). I found that I had very little pressure (wouldn't climb above 20lbs) and the problem turned out to be the small rubber tube that connects the fuel pump to the line. I had to drop the tank to fix it but the pressure test will tell you if this is the problem area.

HTH
Todd

Back