• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

herculining body

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
for those who've done It:

this spring I think Im gonna black herculine my body up to the line split in the body (Just above the key hole) My XJ is a 99 with the Chili Pepper paint. The reason for me doing this is because I have clear coat chipping from where I'v messed It up by banging things against It, a few dents and dings, and I like the look from those other XJ's I'v seen. My XJ is currently herculined up to the bottom of the door fold, Its about midway up the door. Previously when I did this I Just tapped off and painted on over the paint. No prep. It held up fine for over a year without any sign of coming off. It seems to fade a bit in the sun but thats part of herculiner. Do you think there is any necessary prep now since Im doing much larger of a surface?

From previous bad experiences with Rhino-Liner, I can tell you that if you don't prep the surface properly (sand and clean), the liner will peel off in big chunks (like opening a christmas present) when you scratch it. If you do prep it right, you might gash the liner, but it won't peel a big 'ol chunk off.

i've heard of a few people doing the bodies and it fading bad and chipping away if you don't keep your jeep in the garage.

yeah the rhino fades quicker thean the herc does...i have a combo of both on my jeep and the rhino like said above if not prepped right will peel off in slabs...the herc though seems to be a bit rougher in texture and will hold better than the rhino i.e no peeling in big slabs...herc is better in terms of sticking to a not so good prep...the bottom line is scuff clean and buff whatever surface you are applying to...it makes all the difference! plus herc is a lot cheaper than the rhino stuff which ususally you have to pay someone to apply! ANYWAYS....

Panthers65 said:
i've heard of a few people doing the bodies and it fading bad and chipping away if you don't keep your jeep in the garage.
Yup if you don't take it out in the rocks it won't chip :D
If it's street driven it won't chip, if it's bush driven it won't chip, if it's in the rocks... it might chip ;)
Fading ? yeah... but you know what.... 99cent for a can for black paint once a year and it looks as good as new.

Im with ya on this one Remi, every 6 months I hit mine with a can of black rustoleum and It brings the fade back to new....right now Im only half way up, Im going Just about to where you did, what prep work did you do? A Light sand to take clear coat away?

XJ99 said:
Im with ya on this one Remi, every 6 months I hit mine with a can of black rustoleum and It brings the fade back to new....right now Im only half way up, Im going Just about to where you did, what prep work did you do? A Light sand to take clear coat away?
Scotch pad to rough it up and then wash it down with some brake cleaner (spray on the rag and wipe it down).
After that, brush it on (seems to hold/cover better then rolling it on).

XJ99, i have pretty much the same cherokee you do. 1999 chili pepper red. all i have done is applied POR-15 to the bottom of the doors. I prepped a little, sanded it down some and cleaned it off. It came out pretty good. I sprayed it when it was still tacky with some rattle can. I think that painting up to the body line above the keyhole would look sick. Kind of like kejtars, but i think it would look a little better if it stopped at the body line (just an opinion). Maybe if i get the balls up, i'll try this this summer, but i think i'll use por-15. If prepped properly, it will not chip or peel or anything. I have it all over my under body, rock sliders, bumper, lower doors, and fenders. Its holding up great. Only place that gets it is the high heat areas, like above the exhaust and around the tranny/tcase. They make high heat paints for those areas though. Anyways, post up when you paint it, cus i wanna see what mine will look like, and decide how much my dad is gonna kick my ass!

Back