• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 - how to get the diff out?

Amund2

NAXJA Forum User
Today my '86 D35 (i.e. no C-clips) track-lock lost a few cogs from the four inner cogwheels (are they called planetary gears?) At a certain point the diff "bites", gets stuck, I don't know why or where so I figured I have to get it all out to check. Well, I can't get it out! I've pulled the axle shafts and removed the bearing holder thingies, but it's totally stuck. It seems one of the holes in the carrier for the cross-pin has become oval, and the carrier has got a small crack, suggesting it's been "exploded" a bit... maybe that's why it's jamming? Has anyone got an idea about how to get it out? I was hoping I didn't have to take the whole axle off the car, but...

I was hoping to replace the diff with a Powertrax No-slip I got my hands on. Only problem is, it's for D35 w/o C-clip and no traclok. I didn't know I had the traclok when I bought it... well, now that my carrier is blown that doesn't matter anymore. But do you know if I can use a carrier for axles with C-clips? They're a lot easier to find around here.

Regards,
Amund, Norway (which hopefully explains the poor English and the "why-don't-you-just-run-to-the-nearest-breaker-and-get-a-D44" (because these cars don't grow on trees here, and are usually too expensive to wind up in a breakers yard))

Point one -- the No-Slip does not replace your existing carrier, it is installed into your existing carrier. If your only problem is damaged spider gears (not planetray gears), I believe the No-Slip would replace them. However, if the carrier itself is damaged, then the no-slip won't have a home to be installed into.

I don't know if you can use a c-clip carrier with non c-clip axle shafts, but I can't really think of any reason why not. Hoefully, obe of the axle gurus will jump in here to confirm or correct.

As for removing the carrier, it is a tight fit by design. The factory service manual (FSM) tells us to use a "case spreader" to just slightly open the case to take the pressure off the shims and allow the carrier to fall out. What some people do is to replace the caps for the carrier bearings and insert the bolts just a few threads -- enough so the carrier won't fall out on the floor. Then turn the pinion yoke, and the carrier will often be forced out of position.

Eagle said:
Point one -- the No-Slip does not replace your existing carrier, it is installed into your existing carrier. If your only problem is damaged spider gears (not planetray gears), I believe the No-Slip would replace them. However, if the carrier itself is damaged, then the no-slip won't have a home to be installed into.

I know. But I'll have to get a new carrier to install the No-Slip, because I have a traclok and the noslip is for non-traclok. Now that my carrier seems split in half, I've got a good excuse to get a correct carrier and install the no-slip... :)

Thanks for the reply by the way, will try the pinion trick tomorrow! Probably have to jam the carrier somehow, though.

Back