• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control no worky.

JEEPZZ said:
Check your fuses. Check for vacuum. (does your defroster still blow air onto the windshield?)

Is there actually a fuse for the Cruise control? I've not seen one listed anywhere in the documentation. Everything else works as it should, just the cruise control that's absent.

Cherokee Yellow said:
Have an 01 XJ Sport with cruise controls on the sterring wheel. Cruise control suddenly stopped working for no known reason. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

JD

Did you ever find a fix? Mine just stopped working. I checked my engine oil and Tranny fluid level, replaced my air filter and then it stopped working. I just used it the day before.

I haven't had much time to check everything but at the same time I don't think I did anything that would effect the vacuum canister.

Thanks

I have no idea if its the same setup on ur car as an 89 Mj but mine didnt work and i just lived without it and i went to replace my brake booster and saw that on the inside of the truck where some things plug into it there was an empty spot and i found a wire that plugged into it and it worked. Im guessing that is what shuts off the cruise when you tap on the brake. and without it plugged in it wont work. I dont know if our setup is the same but its worth a shot.

brandonmcnulty said:
I have no idea if its the same setup on ur car as an 89 Mj but mine didnt work and i just lived without it and i went to replace my brake booster and saw that on the inside of the truck where some things plug into it there was an empty spot and i found a wire that plugged into it and it worked. Im guessing that is what shuts off the cruise when you tap on the brake. and without it plugged in it wont work. I dont know if our setup is the same but its worth a shot.

That's an interesting find. Is this on the inside of the engine bay, or underneath?

SharkXJ said:
Did you ever find a fix? Mine just stopped working. I checked my engine oil and Tranny fluid level, replaced my air filter and then it stopped working. I just used it the day before.

I haven't had much time to check everything but at the same time I don't think I did anything that would effect the vacuum canister.

Thanks

Nope, notta. Kinda given up on it for now, but I am going to check the possible brake link that BM mentioned.

Cherokee Yellow said:
Have an 01 XJ Sport with cruise controls on the sterring wheel. Cruise control suddenly stopped working for no known reason. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

JD

How did it stop working? Does the 'cruise" light come on?
Does it do anything at all?
I'd suggest that you start at the begining. Check wiring for obvious problems such as disconnects, cuts, burns, etc.
After that, assuming everything is dead, I'd suggest checking the ON/OFF switch. What I'd do is unplug connector C2 at the ECM and check resistance
change between cavities 60 and 61 when the ON/OFF is activated.
That will check the switch and all the associated wires from the steering wheel to the ECM. If you find a problem you, you could have a switch or clockspring problem.
Caution: 97+XJ cruise switches all look identical.
97-98 have one set of resistance values and 99 and up another. The two groups are not interchangeable.

falcon556 said:
One more item. The brake light switch kills the cruise. A malfunctioning brake switch will prevet operation.

So I should check to see if my brake lights are working?

To answer the question above: No light, nothing comes on.

SharkXJ said:
So I should check to see if my brake lights are working?

To answer the question above: No light, nothing comes on.

I think the problem is most likely in the steeing wheel, switch or clockspring but this is no more than a guess.
It is easy to check proper brake switch operation.
Disconnect Connector C3 from the PCM and the servo connector.
Check continuity between C3 pin 11 and servo connector pin 3.
It should follow the brake pedal applications. If it is always on, you found a problem. You can't go by the brake lights because the brake switch is 3 switches in 1.

Back