• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help on D35 axleshaft, also why not to allow your wife to drive your jeep

xDUMPTRUCKx

NAXJA Forum User
okay well like a moron i let my wife take the jeep to run an errand real quick as i was working on our other car and she proceeded to put the AW4 into neutral, brought the RPMs up and then while leaving her foot on the gas threw it into Drive thus snapping the drivers side axleshaft off before the splines, me never having done a axleshaft replacment, im stuck.

its a dana 35 from an 89 XJ with a detroit in it as well, i bought it like this dont accuse me of turd polishing.

now how can i get to the other little piece of the axleshaft where that arrow is? do i remove those bolts i circled? also will i now have to re-set up the gears in the rear end?

help me im in the marines and i have to be back to work in 29 palms and my jeep is my only transportation. i need to get this fixed by sunday or else!

35c.JPG

Last edited:
Pics no workey dude.

I don't know a thing about Detroits. I think I understand you though. The splined part of the shaft is still in the Detroit, and your asking how to get it out??

Pic still isn't opening...

If the cover is off and you are looking at 2 bolts on each side (3/4" / 19mm maybe?) that hold the bearing retainers onto the housing... pull those ... keep the caps straight as to which side is up and left to right...

Either use a prybar (or a sock with a knot in it,,,"fed" into the gears) to get the carrier out... it may be tight and it is kinda heavy & the ring gear is sharp...so be prepared for it to pop out... if the shims are on the outside of the bearings( I dunno about a 35), keep them straight and on the proper sides

You will not have to reset the gears after pulling the carrier...

Haleyes said:
I don't know a thing about Detroits. I think I understand you though. The splined part of the shaft is still in the Detroit, and your asking how to get it out??

yes that is it exactly

Those circled are the carrier bearings. Yes, you'll have to take those out. See Woodys post above. Just be sure to keep whats on the left...on the left, and whats on the right...on the right. Mark them somehow.

I was thinking a real Detroit. Thats a lunchbox locker. I think they call the Detroit ones EZ lockers.

AWESOME thank you so much, oh thats not my axle, but a pic of something close

You'll have to remove the un-broken shaft from the carrier/locker before you can remove the carrier. There is a retaining pin on the carrier that goes through the carrier and the big shiney center pin. Remove the retaining pin and the center pin should come out pretty easy. Now, you'll need to remove the un-broken shaft. Push in on the axle and remove the c-clip. Slide the axle out and then you can remove the carrier to get at the broken piece. Hope that makes sence.

OK it opened now... Ya pull those 4 and the caps (keep thenm straight and the shims too...they NEED to go back on the proper side and right side up)

Pull broke piece, reassemble and put the shafts back in

If you have a magnet on a long pole, you can try to fish it out through the tube without disturbing the bearing caps

Now get to work and patch it back up or Gunny will kick your ass for being late.
Thanks for serving!!! :patriot:

Easiest way to remove a carrier is to put a wrench on a ring gear bolt at the top of the carrier and pry on the lowest ring gear bolt head you can.
It'll pop right out, so be ready.

so i pull all the carrier caps, then the opposite wheels axle shaft and it comes out? man i hope i dont mess anything up.

thanks a million guys for all your help, ill be out there in the driveway, i gots some work to do.

xXJx said:
so i pull all the carrier caps, then the opposite wheels axle shaft and it comes out? man i hope i dont mess anything up.

step 1: remove tires and wheel

step 2: remove brake drums

step 3: using a 1/2" deep socket remove the 4 bolts that are under the axle flange........rotate the axle so the hole lines up over each of the four nuts

step 4: remove the axle shafts

step 5: remove the 4 carrier bolts and carrier caps. keep them oriented so they go back in exactly how the came out

step 6: remove the carrier by using a large wrench or pry bar between the top of the carrier and the axle housing it should pop out...be careful here as there may be shims on either side of the carrier, if there is make sre they go back in exactly as they came out.

step 7: use a long screw drive or magnet to fish the broken axle out of the carrier/detroit.........now clean up the axe housing of any left over debris

step 8: reassemble

Yup...that's about it... If it doesn't come out there maybe too much of the broke piece left protruding... (the splined part is apprx 1 5/8" long) you might have to pull it out with a magnet or poke it out with a long rod (the pin in the center of the locker may be in the way?)

ya im confused on how to A: pry the carrier out, afraid of damaging something and B: removing the center pin on the locker, how do i do that?

Back