• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing

righteyejoe

NAXJA Forum User
i have been searching around this site and i havent been able to find it what would be a good rear end gear to run on my 97 xj on 31.10 50 with the I6 auto trans im looking for highway casue ill be pulling my buggie

I would go with 4.10s. 3.73s are the first step after your current 3.55s, but that just accomodates the bigger tires, so I would go one more step to get the extra oomph needed to get you going from a stop.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I borrowed a Durango to tow my MJ a while back and it has a "tow/haul" button that essentially turns off the overdrive. Same sort of thing as getting the better gearing. Lower RPM on the freeway doesn't directly transmit to better gas mileage since the engine will work harder (using more gas per stroke) to maintain it's speed. The important thing is to keep the engine in it's optimal power band. The cost of the gears will far outweigh any gains in gas mileage in the next few years. The reason you want to regear is to make towing easier on your Jeep. Towing with too low of gears can destroy automatic transmissions as well as other stuff.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back