• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. tranny cooler as main?

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
With the upcoming mod's to my junk, I want to run my tranny cooling seperately of my engine cooling. How large of an aux. cooler do you think I'd need to run since this will now be my only source of cooling. Since it won't be running with the hot engine coolant anymore, I'm wondering what I can get away with.

Sean

I'm running one that is about 8" X 10" and I don't think it's enough. I have never gotten the guage installed to check though.

I've been told by a few trany shops that the plate style like B&M sells cool much better than the tube type. I think I'm going to buy one at least the size of this one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=BMM-70266
and larger if it's available. Then add a thermostat so the oil will warm properly.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRM-1060

Later,
Lincoln

OneTon -- Is this for that rolling pile of pipes you call a Jeep? If so, running the tranny cooling separate from the radiator opens up a lot of possibilities if you don't have a carpetted interior to think about. You can run the cooler remote (even run two or more in series or in parallel) with an auxiliary electric fan to make 'em totally independent of the radiator. Mount 'em toward the rear and higher up, out of harm's way.

My radiator is going in the rear. I'm sinking my winch back into the grill as far as possible so I figured I'd go ahead and do some weight distribution. There isn't a whole lot of room that's going to be left once I get the fuel cell built and the built in toolboxes.

Eagle or anybody else, any suggestions on coolers? I'll be checking into the one that Lincoln linked. Is there any kind of formula we should be trying to figure out to get proper cooling?

Sean

If you run the thermostat it you won't ever have too much. Might as well put 10 on there. :)

Check out Permacool's site:
http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Contents.html

I think if you get anything that is made of over 20,000 GVW you will be fine. If you buy one and it runs warm you can alway's do what eagle suggested and run them in series.

You could also buy one to handle that funny steering also. What kind of pump are you running? One of these:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...OS=on&TEST=Y&productId=468329&categoryId=1500

Oh well, I have to go. The wife will be home soon and I'm supposed to be in bed. She called earlier to make sure and said the creeper in the garage doesn't count as bed. There just isn't any trust in this relationship. :dunno:

Later,
Lincoln

Hey one ton, how much into the grill is your winch going. Would you have room to use the factory AC condenser? It's thin but has alot of surface area. Just something to chew on.
Chadc

Nope, winch will be appx. 1" in front of the crank pulley. It's an 8274, so that doesn't leave me much room for anything.

Let's work on some theory. If I was to buy 2 10,000lb rated coolers, would the combined cooling equal 1 20,000lb? I don't think so, but I have not proof or experience in the matter. I'd like to keep the tranny cooler up front, but I don't have to. I could put one on either side of the winch with their own little fans and call it good possibly.

Lincoln, the creeper qualifies as a bed if you bring your blankie out with you. See if the wife digs on that one :D

Sean

Your radiator is going in the back, how far back. Is It a 2 or 4 door. You wanna try something that would probably work well and look trick. Get rid of the cargo area windows and put a cooler with its own fan on each side. You could even add vents on the outside to dirrect air. I see it in my mind..... No you don't want to see in my mind.
Chadc

Chad I appreciate the response, but I kinda lost any semblance of windows, doors, brains, etc. a while back........
pic.php

Last edited:
On this page a 12K is 3.5 X 14 and 24K is 7 X 21. Exactly 3 times the cooler area. I'm not sure if that holds solid though.

Maybe two of these:
http://www.permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page15.html

Scotts make fans down to 7". I've got a couple of their fan's and they seem to move air better than any other's I've tried.

http://home.earthlink.net/~scottsfans/

Also, are you going to coil overs? Maybe mount them on the inner fender well. Some louvered covers would keep them from getting trashed by rocks and brush and the fans would move the air.

Spend some time and go through Permacools site. You could even use their standard oil coolers if they will fit where you want. They have those that are double thickness.

Chad, I alway's figured and auto should be a minumum of 160 degrees and a max around 250 or 260. Every GM TH350 or TH400 that I've owned needed double coolers to keep them below 300 even during just normal driving. I had a Dodge with the 727 and with only the radiator cooler it never ran above 140. (temps taken in the pan) Usually they start blowing fluid at roughly the 320 mark and most aftermarket guages stop at 300.

The wife left to get me a movie since I was a good boy and came home from work as soon as I could and went to bed. :firedevil Sean just want's me to get my wheeling privilages revoked.

Later,
Lincoln

chadc said:
OH I understand now, and love it. I think you might have more body damage then I do.

In order to incur body damage, one must first have a body.

Jes ain't the only one that knows how to get it on 33's. Eagle, you just made me ruin my own thread :firedevil:

pic.php

Sean, it isn't rocket science. :) Get a mid-sized cooler, like a Hayden, from anywhere. I got mine at Pep Boys, and did what you're talking about, didn't run the lines through the radiator. They will run forever with the trans cooling done only with the radiator, so anything you do seperate from the radiator will be an improvement. The factory trans coolers, like form a ZJ, are not very big, and they come from the factory with a tow package. I had a factory cooler that I picked up somewhere......I ended up using it for the power steering and got a decent sized Hayden for the trans.

You're going to get all of this done before Moab, right?:D

One Ton:
I tried to find a stacked plate cooler that would fit AND was big enough but there isn't much room behind a stock grill. BUT ! in your situtation I'd measure each side of the winch & go for a Setrab or Earl's both are stacked plate but 2" is the thinest. I got fed up & went with 2 Perma-Cool tube & fin type 7.5 X 14 X1.5 one for engine & one for ATF. All coolers behind the grill, If I could go bigger I would. In you case I think stacked plate might work out.

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Richard, it'll be done. That's why I started 2.5 months ahead of time instead of 2.5 weeks. Was even going to cancel the Tellico trip, but that would've just been dumb.

Alright folks, I'm going to put 1 cooler on each side of the winch and call it good. I'm diggin' on the Perma cool stuff so that's probably the route I'll be taking, unless I find out they have a crappy record for reliablity.

I'm off to Erocc to get some ideas finalized. Tomorrow I'm bending and weldin' tube baby.

Back