• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eng Temp Light FAILS Key On Test?

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
The warning light test, the one that lights all of the warning lights when you first turn the key on for a second or two. All my lights come on for the prescribed second or two, EXCEPT the Water Temp Warning Light.

I replaced the buld, still no change, I tested the old bulb and it was good. I checked and the wire is connected to the sensor, no sign of wire problems, although I didn't trace the entire circuit. The wiring of this vehicle is in good shape, no other electric problems.

Anyone have any idea as to a possible cause, shouldn't the Water Temp Warning Light light up during the Start-Up test as well as the rest of them?

If the connection isin't bad, or the connection in the cluster itself, the sending unit is bad.

The best solution is to replace the instrument cluster with the gauge type and the oil and temp sending units will need upgraded to the gauge type units. I did this swap (there are many write ups about it here) its easy and I wish I did it long ago.

BUMP,

Anyone else experience this? Since the sensor is just a thermal switch in my case, it would be open when the motor is less than HOT, so if the test is too perform it would have to bypass the sensor and just light the light to make sure its not burned out. But it doesn't light the light.

Back