• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 swap

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
yup searched. Are wheel spacers required? from some of my reading, MORE's web site they recommed them. To those of you running them yup or know. got a pair of spidertrax that are of the front now I have new wheels and am wondering about selling them TIA John

IIRC, the width difference is minimal, less than an inch or so. I am only running 30" tires and I am using stock rims, no wheel spacers, and have plenty of clearance. Don't know if that'll be any help to you or not, but there it is.

Depends on the width of tire and rim you are wanting to run. To be exact the 8.8 is 5/8 th an inch more narrow on each side making 1 1/4 total. Seeing as how your rear tires don't get into steering scrub situations, you could get by without a wheelspacer, but if you like your articulation, I would run those spidertrax. Not to mention your rear tires already look like they stick in farther than fronts, so if you are worried about aesthetics wheel spacers help.

LilRedRover said:
Depends on the width of tire and rim you are wanting to run. To be exact the 8.8 is 5/8 th an inch more narrow on each side making 1 1/4 total. Seeing as how your rear tires don't get into steering scrub situations, you could get by without a wheelspacer, but if you like your articulation, I would run those spidertrax. Not to mention your rear tires already look like they stick in farther than fronts, so if you are worried about aesthetics wheel spacers help.

Wouldn't a simple swap to 4 inch backspace rims be easier? Steel rims aren't all that expensive.

ok, the rear of every car is narrower than the front. It has something to do with handling or stablility, I dont know, I just know that it is supposed to be narrower. The rear wheels/tires dont come out as far on mine in the back even though the axles are stock. You could jsut run different rims on the rear, but what happens when you go to rotate the tires? how about getting a new set of tires? I would say stick to the powertrax. I havent seen them, but I am assuming they come on different widths, get some 0.5 in spacers and call it good.

MIXJ said:
ok, the rear of every car is narrower than the front. It has something to do with handling or stablility, I dont know, I just know that it is supposed to be narrower. The rear wheels/tires dont come out as far on mine in the back even though the axles are stock. You could jsut run different rims on the rear, but what happens when you go to rotate the tires? how about getting a new set of tires? I would say stick to the powertrax. I havent seen them, but I am assuming they come on different widths, get some 0.5 in spacers and call it good.

I'm pretty sure the front and rear track are the same. The front end sheetmetal is narrower than the rear.

Back