• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broken tap!

RED RHINO

NAXJA Forum User
So on installing my tranny mount I had to drill and tap the spare holes on my frame , all went well till I broke off a tap in the last one. I have tried everything I can think of (tap extractors, hardened drill bits, screw drivers ,hammer and a punch) if any body knows the secret to getting out broken taps please let me know.
I know , I know be more carefull and that will not happen.

glad i'm not the only one that does that. i just broke one off trying to fix the rear shocks on my wifes TJ.

but i'm no help in getting it out. i just gave up on mine. i'm gonna find somebody that has experience getting that kinda stuff out. i do more damage than anything else with taps,drills and extractors. i don't touch that stuff anymore.

Where at on the tap did it break? I've broken a couple and been sucessful at getting them out if they weren't too tightly seated.

Two ways might work depending on how large the tap was that broke: 1) I've been able to break it apart and pull out the pieces. A small, strategically placed punch might do the trick if the tap is stressed enough to begin with. 2)You may be able to grind an old socket down so that you are able to catch the recesses in the tap and unscrew it. The socket would look like the top of a castle.

You also might just be able to hit it with a punch on an angle to get it to start coming out.

Good luck! Tapping oil is your friend!

on that looking like a castle thing.
What if you got a castle nut and ground that down to fit the recesses in the tap? You'd still have to find a way to turn it, do they make left handed castle nuts? or weld it to bolt so you can use a breaker bar. just an idea that popped in my head.
Good luck, taps are some hard steel.

Thanx for the tips, I think I am going to try using an air chisel with a pointed bit.Hope that works!By the way I was using a 7\16 " tap and broke off the first threads about 1\8" from the tip.

Here is a few tricks for you. One is to insert three pieces of wire with one into each of the holes around the tap. Then twist the wires together to wind it out. Try and use wire as big as you can to slide down next to the tap.
The other is to heat it up with a torch until cherry red. Allow to cool without using any water etc. When cold you can now drill it out as the hardness has been taken out by the heating and slow cooling process.

Back