• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch maintenance

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
yes i did search, but didn't find any answers directly regarding water/weather

well i'm getting closer and closer to finishing my wifes TJ. i got the new bumper and winch mounted yesterday, and figured i should ask for some info before i take it out and have it rained on.

now don't give me crap, it's only a harbor freight #9000 winch, but it'll be fine for now.

what i want to know is, what i have to do mainenance wise and water protection wise.

i don't have a cover for the winch. is there any waterproofing i should do to it? is there anything i should do to protect it from road grime that could interfere with operation??? i have never seen(in action)/used a winch in person and don't know anything about them. the little electrical box where the wires/remote go to will be mounted on top of the winch for now, but i'm thinking about relocating it under the hood or in the cab down the road.

are there any places in the milwaukee area where you can buy winch equipment/accessories? the only places that i know of are all internet sites.

thanks,
alex

I don't know how waterproof the Harbor Freight winches are, but I've had my Warn completely submerged underwater. No problems yet.

Back