• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Created a problem... need some ideas..

DSN46

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I'm heading to Moab in May. I thought I would get anything and everything out of the way that might cause me a problem along the way.
I've replaced about everything replaceable (i.e. thermostat, sending units, belt, hoses etc.) Tonight, I replaced the stock auxillary tranny cooler with an aftermarket (Hayden 404... good for towing up to 5000 lbs) one.

So, I get the stock one removed and install the new Hayden. It is about twice the size of the stock unit. I go for a drive and all is well with the tranny and the new lines I put on. Then I notice that my Engine temp is shooting up FAST! It climbs up to the 230* mark and the aux. fan kicks on and does its thing. The problem is that it is 35* here now, and my aux fan hardly ever kicked on in winter.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my engine temp back down to where it was before? Anyone deal with this problem after installing an aftermarket tranny cooler?

Thanks for any advice.

James

where did you put the aux cooler? that sounds weird, maybe it was a fluke? I put mine on the driver side, right infront of the electric fan.

Well try it out for a few days and if the engine temp shoots up then I'd move it over to the other side. That's where most people put it, probably because it's closer to where the lines hook up to the stock "cooler." Keep in mind that the tranny doesn't need as much cooling as the engine. I like mine infront of the electric fan because when offroading at low speeds where you don't get much airflow, the electric fan likes to come on alot.

It does take up about a full 1/3 of the total radiator space. But I have seen pics of others who have one just as big and I didn't read where they had this problem. I may try moving it over... it is just a pain in the arse to do it.

Yes, it was functioning properly before the tranny cooler, so I am very sure that it is my culprit. I will move it to the driver's side of the radiator and see what happens. I'll let you know what I find out.

James

how are you attaching it? with those plastic things that go through the radiator? did you use the spacers to keep it off of the stock radiator or the condenser?

mjma said:
how are you attaching it? with those plastic things that go through the radiator? did you use the spacers to keep it off of the stock radiator or the condenser?
That's a good point also, spacing if not enough will cauce overheating in both.

Okay, problem solved!!
Moved the cooler over to just left of center of the radiator (drivers side now).
No more engine cooling probs. I guess covering the mechanical fan to get more constant air flow wasn't such a good idea.

At any rate, my tranny actually shifts "stronger" (if that makes any sense) now, and my engine temp stays just under what it used to. I wonder if keeping the tranny fluid cooler helps the radiator do its job too?

Thanks for the great ideas and responses folks. Once again, this board's members came through.

James

DSN46 said:
Okay, problem solved!!
Moved the cooler over to just left of center of the radiator (drivers side now).
No more engine cooling probs. I guess covering the mechanical fan to get more constant air flow wasn't such a good idea.

At any rate, my tranny actually shifts "stronger" (if that makes any sense) now, and my engine temp stays just under what it used to. I wonder if keeping the tranny fluid cooler helps the radiator do its job too?

Thanks for the great ideas and responses folks. Once again, this board's members came through.

James
How have you run the lines?
Do the lines still go through the radiator, they should because the radiator is also used to heat the trans fluid during cold weather.
The AUX cooler should have a by-pass valve also.

Back