• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

scout dana 44

not sure on the exact year and model of the axle, ive messaged the guy im getting it from and waiting for a response, but have a few questions

searched and read a few threads, my main question was about converting a rear to 5 on 4.5 lug pattern

redrilling the flanges was mentioned, would this be the type of thing a typical local machine shop would wanna handle? I mean, i could drill a few holes in there, but i dotn know how close theyd be, so i would probably leave that to someone with the machinery to get it straight:)

any non custom applications i could find axleshafts the right length to work?

also, what to do about the drums? any other aplication that would work with the newer bolt pattern wihtout too much trouble?

thanks
adam

Once you find out the shaft width, you can try to match it with something.
Re-drilling the flange is OK if there is enough meat around the holes, but let a shop do it that has the right equipment.
Kid4lyf, just sent out a set of shafts to be shortened, that might be a possibility.

I may be in the same bolt have a scout II with 5.5 and want to go to 4.5, any direct bolt in's? oh yea the scout II has disc's

If it is an older Scout axle out of an "800", it will be to narrow to fit your spring perches. If it is out of a Scout II, I used to run one. Since the axle is 2 inches narrower than a stock XJ, I just ran 1" spacers that also adjusted the bolt pattern from 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5 -- about $100 for the pair.

yep, the scout is narower by around 2". Bout 1.25" spacers that convert from one pattern to another.

Still haven't got it under the rig yet though.

awspence said:
yep, 76 traveler axle, so its the one i want, gonna run 1.25 spacers/adapters,

anyone know the pinion length of one of these compared to an 8.25? i dotn have it on hand or id measure

adam

I would measure the travellall axle - I seem to recall reading that it is 63", as opposed to the 58" Scout II...

I remember a certain Chicago metalbitch that had this for sale a while back...

Scout axle in perfect shape, ALL NEW bearings, seals, 11 1/8" drum brakes and hardware....5.13 gears with a FULL detroit locker.
wheel mounting width increased to xj width, with precision cnc machined lug spacers for 5 on 5 1/2 pattern $650

IIRC the spacers might've been the dual pattern type with 5x4.5 as well...

Dunno if he still has it, but if you're interested...

I can give him a call...

xj-grin said:
I would measure the travellall axle - I seem to recall reading that it is 63", as opposed to the 58" Scout II...

hmmmm, getting this axle as part of a trade, the guy is coming to my house this weekend, he called it a traveler, to be honest i know nothing about scouts, is this a travelall hes referring to? because i get plenty of google results for both, but cant find much relevant info

i will have him measure it before he brings it, but he said he was pretty certain it ware around 58 inches, if it is the wider travelall axle, i may need to reconsider this trade, as im running the stock width front for now

Yep, sounds just right....for a "Traveler" axle (SII). 59.5" or 60" WMS, depending on who's measuring. Rear 58" WMS. Just what you're seeking
biggrin.gif

Travelall width....rear 64"....front ?? but less than 68".

found on another site, so it lookes like im gettign the traveler axle, not the travellall, so it should be fine:)

I believe that they are close enough (within 1/2 or so) to where you can run the same driveshaft. I am putting a D44 out of an older cherokee in mine, and I got a driveshaft out of an XJ with the 8.25 to run it it. After measuring, it should be pretty close

Back