• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Prob?

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Tried doing a search but nothing specific to my Q...

'88 XJ Laredo 4.0L Auto 4WD.

Donno if this is a potential prob or not... Lately I've been noticing when I'm idling the Oil Pressure is a little over 40# (Cold or Warmed up). It's at the One O'Clock position.

I haven't driven it around to see if it (the Oil Pressure) would go down. I vaguely recall it being less than 40# like around 30# when Cold or Warm.

I'm using Castrol Syntec 10w40 and PureOne Oil Filter. This engine is a Reman and was put in about 5k miles ago.

No signs of overheating and since my conversion to the open system she runs nice and cool never going above 210 deg (where the dual electric fans are set to kick in). Cools down in less than a min too (when it reaches 210) to 190!

Do you think I've a potential Oil Pressure Prob? Sending Unit going bad or other?

Thx, Phil

DIGITRUCK said:
Hey,

Tried doing a search but nothing specific to my Q...

'88 XJ Laredo 4.0L Auto 4WD.

Donno if this is a potential prob or not... Lately I've been noticing when I'm idling the Oil Pressure is a little over 40# (Cold or Warmed up). It's at the One O'Clock position.

I haven't driven it around to see if it (the Oil Pressure) would go down. I vaguely recall it being less than 40# like around 30# when Cold or Warm.

I'm using Castrol Syntec 10w40 and PureOne Oil Filter. This engine is a Reman and was put in about 5k miles ago.

No signs of overheating and since my conversion to the open system she runs nice and cool never going above 210 deg (where the dual electric fans are set to kick in). Cools down in less than a min too (when it reaches 210) to 190!

Do you think I've a potential Oil Pressure Prob? Sending Unit going bad or other?

Thx, Phil

Hey, Can someone please ans my post.

Thx, Phil

DIGITRUCK said:
Hey, Can someone please ans my post.

Thx, Phil

Patience, my friend. Patience.
It looks like the engine is good. If the gauge still shows more than 40psi at idle when the engine's hot, it's almost certain the sending unit is at fault.

I agree with Dr. Dyno. My oil gauge was gradually reading higher and higher for the past few weeks until it finally pegged one day and would not come down. I replaced the sender with one I had laying around from my '87 Camaro (same unit) and now we are back to normal gauge readings. It seems as the resistance in the unit goes up,so does the gauge. If you pull the wire off the sender with the engine running,the gauge will peg to the high side.

I've had my '96 Country 4.0LHO AW4 2WD since it was new. My pressure has always been about 30-35 psi at idle. Yesterday I changed the oil and spent a little more $$ for a PureOne filter. It now idles with just over 40 psi. At the same time I changed the oil in my Mustang. It always idled at about 1/3 of the guage (guage does not indicate actual psi) it now idles at mid-point on the guage. I used a PureOne in the Mustang also.

It's the Pure One filter, I don't think it is a problem.

Back