• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

external tranny cooler--needed?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
After reading several posts, I thought of puting one of these on. Are they really needed if I'm not towing? My XJ's only got 50K miles, so the radiator's in good shape. I haven't noticed any tranny slipping or late shifts, but I'd like to head off any potential problems. Do any of you run these just as a precaution?
TIA!

I'm moving to Tucson from Kentucky in September for a new job. I just put an OEM trans cooler on my 99. I figure with the intense heat you have in Arizona for 4-5 months a year it's just good insurance against potential problems. It took me about 1 hour to install with basic hand tools. Didn't have to remove front bumper to get the cooler on but did have to take one leg off the cooler to get it in. Cooler costs less than 60.00 at dealer and everything you need is in box. You will have to have the special plastic line release dealies that yu can buy at any auto parts store for 10 bucks. I really don't know how much the cooler helps but i do know it sure can't hurt anything.

Tranny heat

I have a B&M tranny cooler, the 24,000 model.
recently while wheeling in the sand with a buddy I noticed smoke coming from under his jeep. It smelled like tranny oil...UHH OHH.

I had the cooler, and had no problems.

BTW, it helps not only by cooling the oil, but increasing the capacity of coolent in the system.
While your at it, throw in a remote tranny oil filter.
Their cheep, and also increase capicity.

Walt from Ky said:
I'm moving to Tucson from Kentucky in September for a new job. I just put an OEM trans cooler on my 99. I figure with the intense heat you have in Arizona for 4-5 months a year it's just good insurance against potential problems. It took me about 1 hour to install with basic hand tools. Didn't have to remove front bumper to get the cooler on but did have to take one leg off the cooler to get it in. Cooler costs less than 60.00 at dealer and everything you need is in box. You will have to have the special plastic line release dealies that yu can buy at any auto parts store for 10 bucks. I really don't know how much the cooler helps but i do know it sure can't hurt anything.
I like the idea of an OEM cooler, but all the factory ones I've seen on-line are about $100. The dealer will sell these for $60?

Anyone have any pricing info on some kits for this? Aftermarket stuff. How much was the B&M setup?

Maybe I paid too much, but my OEM cooler for my 89 was about 79 at the dealer. I had just put on new cooling lines and didn't want to cut them. You have to take the bumper off to get it in but once you do, you stab in the factory line connectors. I like that the thing is mounted with sheet metal screws rather than with those plastic ties, but you can do the same thing with aftermarket brackets. Hayden makes splice in connectors for $7.00 and mounting brackets. You could prob. put together a Hayden set-up for $50.00

You can pick up a Hayden Ultra-cool medium duty for around $35 msrp. Hayden's Rapid-Cool medium duty that I have is about $50 msrp. It's rated for 6 & 8 cyl. vehicles towing up to 2500 lbs. As a comparison their Med./Heavy Duty Rapid-Cool is rated for Class C motorhomes towing up to 5000 lbs. costs about $60 msrp.

Thanks for the input, folks. I just ordered the OEM unit for my year XJ. Clean install and no line cutting.:cool:

Tell me how it goes Bill, as I am gonna order a bunch of stuff for the Jeep when I am back from Jump School. Hope everything is well.

Fergie

Back