• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition switch wire colors / converting to marine key

NDaviator

NAXJA Forum User
okay so my key tumbler was all kinds of jammed up, replaced it, and still something farther down is jammed, not allowing me to turn the tumbler to the proper start / on / release positions.

SO

i have this idea just to unwire it farther down at the actual switch connection, and wire up a 3 position marine key.

WILL THIS WORK?

the marine key has off-on-starter positions.

which wires need to connect to which terminals on the new key? the wiring diagram in the haynes manual is WORTHLESS.

any advice?

OK - what year XJ do you have (it's usually important, especially with electrics!) and what instructions came with your switch?

I'm sure it's possible - long before I just broke down and replaced my ignition switch (it was toasted...) I wired up a bypass for the "START" circuit - cranking my key all the way around to "START" does nothing - I just turn it to "ON" and hit the switch to start it. Not only did it fix the issue I was having at the time, but it's come in handy when I leave my keys in the rig (I've caught two kids trying to make off with the thing...)

5-90

its a 92 sport...

not worried at ALL with anyone trying to jack the thing. and i was thinking about having just a batt switch and a start/fire switch, but the only place in town would have had to order those... infact it was the guy at the store who suggested just running it with a marine key, since he had those in stock and says it should handle the power

mainly just looking for what wires from the jeep i need to connect to the ground, on, and starter leads on the marine key....

OK, per 1991FSM (1992 should be similar...)

10 gage RED - goes into a common BUSS in the ignition switch. Feeds fro PDC fuze #11 (60A)

14 gage YELLOW - Runs to the start relay. Apply +12VDC to actuate. Hot in START only.

12 gage ORANGE - Runs to splice A38, which feeds:
ABS/Ignition fuze, 2A
Clock/Accy fuze, 10A
Rear Window Wiper fuze, 25A
ABS/Batt fuze, 2A
Hot in RUN only

12 gage VIOLET - runs to Windscreen Wiper Circuit Breaker - hot in ACCY or RUN

12 gage DARK BLUE - runs to Splice A21/1, which feeds:
DRL Module (if present)
ECU/SBEC
ASD Relay
Fuel Pump Relay
PDC Fuze F6 - splice A12 #14
Gages fuze, 7.5A
Hot in START and RUN

20 gage GREY/WHITE tracer - feeds brake warning switch and park brake switch. Grounded in START only
20 gage VIOLET/YELLOW tracer - feeds coolant temperature sensor. Grounded in START only

Given all that,
first, find out how the marine key works - I'd think the two "grounded" leads could be left be, but the power has to go in somewhere for distribution. Therefore, the RED lead has to go somewhere, and then the YELLOW will go to START, and the ORANGE, VIOLET, and DARK BLUE would have to go to the RUN terminal. You don't have an ACC setting on the marine key, so turning it to RUN will probably work - or just rewire your stereo so it's on an independent, always HOT circuit - but you'll have to remember to turn it off manually.

Bear in mind that, even if this works electrically, you might still have to deal with the column lock - it may just be easier to replace/rebuild the column and have done with it.

5-90

good deal. i think this should get me going.

yeah i have no idea whats screwed up farther down in the column, it seems like the previous owner tried to start it or remove the key without pressing the little key release tab or something... as it no longer seems to function, and when i installed the new key cylinder, it wants to rest in a sort of half on half off position, and requires great force to move at all.

the column lock i will have to make sure it isnt going to activate, but im pretty sure its jammed in a non-locked position now as well.

i got the jeep for 62$ so i really dont want to spend much (any) money to replace the column, and i think that would be beyond my skill level anyway...so it would have to be towed, worked on at the dealer, etc. way more $$ than i want to spend. :-\

Back