• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new head on a old block (4.0)

88'XJ

NAXJA Forum User
is it posible (with out alot of fabricatioin/wires/headachs) to put a newer head on my 88' xj?

why you say...so i can put a header and d/p on there of course...maybee do a cam while i'm at it.

thanks

I'd say it is pretty easy to put an OBDI head on. (91-96)
Adapting a later (96/7+) head would appear to be more complicated.

(I cant tell you much about what all you'd need to adapt between the head/block though, cause I just swapped in a whole newer motor)

I was actually thinking backwards! Oops. The HO head will bolt on to the renix block. HO heads have raised intake ports so you'll have to use a 91+ intake manifold. Dunno about the rest.

Maybe just do a port and polish on your current head? They do make headers for the Renix, I think.

Clifford, Borla or Banks (forget which one) and Pace Setter make headers for the 87-90 4.0. The Clifford doesn't come with a down pipe. Pace Setters are lower end stuuf and some quality issues I hear. I didn't have any problems with mine. The Clifford has the bung or boss for the EGR. The hole needs drilled out though.
You can swap on a latter head. The 91-95 cams are basically the same as the cams used in the Renix. There are some who bore out the Renix Throttle Body. Artsounds use to do this and Armour XJ does. Artsounds was about $100 bored to 59.5mm.
If you swap on a new head, you will need to adapt a newer TB or have an adapter plate for the Renix TB.
http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm
Tom

Back