• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are my limits?

LiquidOps

NAXJA Forum User
92' XJ Sport, 2wd :( , 3" pro comp lift, 31x10.5x15's

jeep8x6.jpg

what are my limits? I would love some pictures of things I can handle, and what I can't handle. I'm still new to all of this. Next step for me are tow hooks. But please... post the pics of what I can handle, and the things I should stay away from. I would love to see more of what I can handle, than not.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, for starters, your question is kinda vague. I'm assuming that you're asking us to tell you how hard of a trail you could handle based upon how your jeep is equipped so I'll answer based upon that.

First, having only 2 wheel drive certainly limits the kinds of off roading your Jeep can realistically do. I imagine you already understand that.

Secondly, you simply can't look at a person's vehicle and tell them what they can handle. Four wheeling involves skill and properly using the equipment your Jeep has. Since you've admitted that you are "new at this", then I assume you have very limited trail driving experience - if any at all. That's ok, but for someone to tell you your Jeep can handle a particular trail with a particularlevel of difficulty rating would be irresponsible because an experienced driver could certainly take your Jeep more places with less effort that you might be able to -- regardless of how it's equipped.

Lastly, one has to know what kind of off road driving you want to do. Rock crawling is different from mud bogging and so forth. These kinds of 'wheeling also require different equipment for your Jeep to perform accordingly. Rock crawling requires low gearing and suspension flex. Mud bogging uses more engine/tire speed and taller gears. Both of these activities also require different tire applications -- and this is particularly crucial since you've only got 2 wheel drive.

So, with all that said, my advise to you is to start off with trails that the folks you wheel with say are easy and get to know how your rig performs. Work yourself into more difficult trails as you feel more comfortable with your Jeep.

You've got a nice looking Jeep there. You'll also have to be at peace with yourself about how important it is to you to keep the Jeep pretty. Four wheeling is hard on the Jeep's mechanicals as well as the body. If you are likely to get very upset and discouraged if your Jeep gets dinged or bent, then going off road probably isn't for you. It's twice as hard (and expensive) to keep a trail rig functional AND pretty.

You'll find that if you get bitten by the 'wheeling bug in a big way, you'll be less interested in it's appearance and more interested in buying parts to make it perform better on the trail.

This is just my .02 cents worth, but it looks like you've got a good start with a decent lift. I'd encourage you to invest in those tow hooks, some rock rails, a locker in the rear diff if you don't already have one, appropriate differential gearing (maybe 4:10's for your tire size?) safety and recovery gear, and some spare parts. Your tires are more for light trail and highway driving so take that into consideration when tackling the trails. Traction is a big factor in off road driving. Different tires will change the way the Jeep performs on different terrain.

Take some time to look at the photos posted on this website. You'll be able to see the difference in the kinds of wheeling our guys do just by their rigs. Many of the pics show the kind of trails these guys do with their rigs.

Again, it's more about you and your skills rather than your Jeep. Get out there and hit the trails -- get some trail time under your belt! And never go alone!!! A good spotter will keep you from an expensive and time consuming oops, and having another rig along could be your only way home in a worst case scenario.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Hey man... that was more helpful than you know

I understand i'm a n00b, and I don't expect to go climbing the side of a mountain at this point. I got a sweet deal on this jeep, and an even better deal on the lift and all the work. I got the bug, I want to try some stuff. I'm not so much worried about appearance. I have my mustang to worry about for that one. I wouldn't mind being covered in mud :)

I'm not sure exactly what direction I want to take. For the time being, Mild trails are great for me. I want to go exploring and take my passion of photography with me. See somethings and capture them with my camera.

I shall never go alone, unless a definate known mild trail.

CB is installed, so if i do go on a run with other peeps, i'm all set :)

Thanks again for your info, it helps a lot. Any other info you guys may have, or advice, let me know.

For now, this So Cal XJ will stick to the mild :)

as "the bug" progresses thru your system you are gonna start wanting more capabilities.. it is probably one of the easiest 2WD to 4WD swaps ever to hit the market...... just a lil food for thought... great rig, enjoy it!!
mike

To help your 2wd reach more places and to get stuck worse:

1. Rear locker
2. Mud tires (no swampers, but KMs etc.)
3. Momentum is your best friend
4. Winch

After you get tired of getting stuck a t-case, front axle and driveshaft would help. ;)

If your looking for trials,
1. goto the SoCal chapter forum and make some new friends

2. Checkout this book @Amazon, Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails: Easy, Moderate, Difficult Backcountry Driving Adventures

I have one from Costco, I could not find the exact title. I plan to take my book back though, all the hard trails it lists are moderate to me :) . But a 2WD with some extra clearance could have some fun.

The other option might be the type of wheeling you do, maybe build a sweet pre-runner, JeepSpeed XJ.

You'll need 4LO to do the rocks and such.

LiquidOps :D
Well, there are some places where you can play: Anza borego has quite a few washes, and trails that you can play on as well as quite a few in the Mojave area.

What you probably want to do though is go to the HUngry Valley park (just north of LA) with someone that has a winch and or hooks front and rear (you do have hooks front and rear or some towpoints I hope) and try different things. See what you can do and where you have trouble. As it was said: wheeling often is more skill then equipment :D but the 2wd will hinder you fairly often but.... as it was also said, 4wd swap is pretty EASY.......

Kejtar

limits, we don't have no stinking limits.:wave:

i'll say this... i have a little more motor, a little bigger tires and alittle more gearing... but for kicks i've tried wheeling in 2wd to see how far i could get.. to put it bluntly.. you'd be very surprised at what a xj in 2wd can do... if keeping it 2wd is the plan.. as previously stated a locker is a really good idea. also suspension flex will be your friend, as the more both rear tires are on the ground the less spinning and slipping will happen .. or as also previously stated.. go jeepspeed and take some big air pictures for us :D

What is this 4wd conversion you speak of? Cost? Is this jeep gonna end up making me broke like my stang? I hope so :)

I love this hobby :)

4wd conversion is making your 2wd 4 wd... best way to go is to find a donor 4wd that was in an accident and pull all the drivetrain stuff out of it....... front axle, t-case, tranny shifter, front dshaft and rear dshaft and I think that's all.... then put it in yours and off you go :D(I probably missed something, but that's the general list)......

Btw, I hope someone told you that Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket :D

Kejtar

Back