• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster affecting idle

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ 4.0.When I push the brake pedal my idle shoots up like 100rpms. This concerns me because when it does it almost makes an eradic idle and it causes the tranny to jerk just a little bit when I shift into a forward or reverse gear. Does this mean I have a failing booster or is it a normal occurance. I know the booster is tied into the vacuum system but it still doesn't seem normal to me. Anyone know? Help is much appreciated.
-Collin

I have a related question, or so I think.
Does the XJ brake booster have a check valve in it?

If your rpm's jump, your booster has a vacuum leak.

old_man said:
If your rpm's jump, your booster has a vacuum leak.

Agree. If it was a vacuum leak from the rubber hose that goes from the booster to the intake manifold, the vacuum leak would be present all the time so the idle would always be higher than normal.
Sounds like you'll need to replace the booster so this'll be a good opportunity to upgrade to the dual diaphragm unit found in newer XJ's. If you do this, make sure you also get the master cylinder and proportioning valve to go with it.

Back