• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Alooy shafts with disconnect?

I love my Alooy shafts! theys make me driive wif out any fear of brekage!

MachineMan said:
I like the disconnect..

Possibly Better gas mileage.
No worries about front driveshaft vibes.
No T-Case chain wear when not in 4wd.

Those are all outweighed by having a stronger and more reliable front end...one piece shaft.

MachineMan said:
I like the disconnect..

Possibly Better gas mileage.
No worries about front driveshaft vibes.
No T-Case chain wear when not in 4wd.
Gas mileage is hardly affected
If you have a front driveshaft vibe, fix it
And if your vacum system decides not to work on the trail, it's everyone else that's going to be waiting on you to fix everything.

if you want to keep the disco i assuem you know how large the inner shafts are on that side. i've only heard of one breaking at the splines. unless you are running some real HC stuff you likely won't break one of those. i'm more concerned with the mechanism failing than the shaft.

for what its worth - 95 YJ's have the disco and 297's...

sidriptide said:
if you want to keep the disco i assuem you know how large the inner shafts are on that side. i've only heard of one breaking at the splines. unless you are running some real HC stuff you likely won't break one of those. i'm more concerned with the mechanism failing than the shaft.

Are both passenger side disco inners beefy?
Maybe I just get alloy outers and drivers side inner. Then get a stock 297x passnger inner (u-joint side). But then the U-joint ears will still be weak on that side..

Or maybe I should just eliminate it like you guys are saying and work out all the other issues..

sidriptide said:

Ya right. I can't count how many of those I've seen break, 27 splines is 27 splines. The fact that they're so short makes them weaker than a one piece axle shaft since the one piece has a lot more length to twist and absorb shock loads.

Jes said:
Ya right. I can't count how many of those I've seen break, 27 splines is 27 splines. The fact that they're so short makes them weaker than a one piece axle shaft since the one piece has a lot more length to twist and absorb shock loads.

Ditto, that intermediate shaft is snap-a-rific.

tealcherokee said:
yeah, i definatly cant think of one good reason to have a disco 30
stronger uca mount, but thats it.

XJ_ranger said:
for what its worth - 95 YJ's have the disco and 297's...

Good point, beat me to it Ranger. If you have to have alloy disco shafts then get them based on a 95' YJ. So when you order say you have a 95' YJ that needs some alloys really bad. :laugh3:

Troy

Back