• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake ?

jbrown87

NAXJA Forum User
i noticed that my speedometer was dropping very rapidly yesterday, and i heard an annoying screech, it turns out to be my front right brakes, i think the caliper is sticking, but it won't come undone, ive inspected it and there seems to be nothing that i can see is lose or any obstructions, any suggestions. tia

jason

jbrown87 said:
i noticed that my speedometer was dropping very rapidly yesterday, and i heard an annoying screech, it turns out to be my front right brakes, i think the caliper is sticking, but it won't come undone, ive inspected it and there seems to be nothing that i can see is lose or any obstructions, any suggestions. tia

jason
Replace BOTH front calipers. Rebuilt units are VERY cheap. There is nothing you can do to "rescue" the sticking caliper, and if you want balanced braking, you should replace both sides at the same time.

jbrown87 said:
i noticed that my speedometer was dropping very rapidly yesterday, and i heard an annoying screech, it turns out to be my front right brakes, i think the caliper is sticking, but it won't come undone, ive inspected it and there seems to be nothing that i can see is lose or any obstructions, any suggestions....
Were your inertial dampers engaged?

If you "speedometer dropped very rapidly", but that was it, no being thrown forward by braking force, no pull to one side, etc.; I'd suspect a bad speedometer, speedometer cable, circuit, sensor, etc.

If one of your caliper was sticking, it would resist you when accellerating and very unlikely to increase brake pressure on thier own. If you hit the brakes hard for only a moment, and then let up, then a sticking caliper would hold that braking force, instead of letting up with the pedal. Its very unusual for a sticking caliper to suddenly grab for no reason.

If the car actually decellerated with the speedometer dropping, which you should mention as part of the symptoms, than yea;

If it is a sticking caliper, not only is it unsafe to drive, but if you drive the temps on that brake will soar, the wheel bearings/hub are connected to the rotor, they will suffer damage from the heat of the sticking caliper.

Get a SET of rebuilt calipers (both sides), you may need new rotors and pads as well. Also thoroughly flush the brake fluid, at all points in the brakes. Its VERY possible that bad/old/contaminated brake fluid caused the caliper seals to swell or water in the fluid caused corrosion and that is behind the sticking caliper. So, put in fresh fluid before the bad fluid can do the same to the new parts or the old parts that are still good.

Back