• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket electric fans

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Was trying to purchase an electrical fan for my electric fan conversion and I keep having second thoughts about the brand and sizes. I know there are some write ups on them out there and I was wondering, how have these held up? Anyone who has done this mod have any specific fan they used that has been great? Any fans I should stay away from? Thanks. Also, what CFM should I be looking for?

53guy said:
Was trying to purchase an electrical fan for my electric fan conversion and I keep having second thoughts about the brand and sizes. I know there are some write ups on them out there and I was wondering, how have these held up? Anyone who has done this mod have any specific fan they used that has been great? Any fans I should stay away from? Thanks. Also, what CFM should I be looking for?

Man, Pandora's box just opened and I wish she'd keep it closed. ;)

I have electric fans on a '99 4.0 to facilitate an OBA system. I skipped the controller and wired directly to where my stock aux fan plugged in. My fans work great.

I have a CSF 3 row radiator and two Flex-a-lite 210 fans with shroud hard wired. The shroud is crucial and the Flexalite hangs a bit below the core support. I took some sheet metal and created a dam to block the overhang so that all suction was coming through the radiator.

As for your other question, I think it was on Dino's site (I could be wrong) where 2000 cfm was what you were looking for. My Flexalites run about 2400 cfm when they are both on at full strength.

How much room is there between your fans and your belt/pulleys with the 210's?

P1030597.jpg

Let me know when you find a fan with over 1500 cfm that will fit (under 3 inches).

53guy said:
How much room is there between your fans and your belt/pulleys with the 210's?

About an inch and I did no trimming on any motor components. The Flexalite 210's are considered their "trimline" and are built for small areas.

From Summit Racing's site:

"Flex-a-lite low-profile electric fans have the lowest profile available, yet flow up to 2,500 cfm. They have lightweight nylon shrouds with full-contact rubber seals, and some even offer several choices of shroud color. There's also an optional, adjustable thermostat and air conditioning relay, as well as a manual override switch to shut down the fan for mud racing or water crossings. A wiring diagram and installation instructions in English, Spanish, and French are included."

You never know when you'll need French directions...

Also, Spal makes some thin and higher CFM electic fans for hot rods and custom cars that would work, again, just make sure you have a good shroud.

Last edited:
Looked and the flex-a-lite 210's have a thickness of about 2.625"....seems to be only a few thinner than 3" and pull more than 1500cfm, let alone 2000 plus. Is it possiable to wire the stock fan in series and use it as well?

53guy said:
Looked and the flex-a-lite 210's have a thickness of about 2.625"....seems to be only a few thinner than 3" and pull more than 1500cfm, let alone 2000 plus. Is it possiable to wire the stock fan in series and use it as well?

The 210's are two fans. The 110 is the single fan version that pulls the lower numbers.

Last edited:
Oatmeal said:

The problem with this and many other write-ups is that the entire pully idler must be removed and the bracket cut off, then the belt re-routed. It's definatley a one-way street.

I have had such a hard time finding what I want that I may lean to that in the future, I've been running with just the one little E-fan for about 2 weeks now but as soon as the weather warms up some I'll have to do something.

Hopefully we can get MachineMan to post his method, It doesn't look from the listed depth of the fans that the bracket will need to be removed, but I'd like to hear it from someone that is running that fan set-up. Looks like a GREAT set-up to me.

Just remember that you need 2000+ CFM PLUS your stock electric fan.
I have been running my setup for years now towing my offroad trailer across deserts in 110*F heat and no problems. Would never go back to a stock fan setup.

Hi, That Dual Derale fan set-up is mine. It totals 4000cfm and works great. However its dificult to fit and pulls a lot of amps. I had to trim the plastic shroud it came with a lot to fit, especially near the sterring box. I notched the top to fit over the radiator top plate. Vertically it cover the entire radiator plus about an inch or so more. Horizontally it comes up a bit short but that works out becuase I needed the room on the steering box side.

Each fan will need it own relay a 10ga power wire directly to the battery becuase the amp draw is so high. I kept blowing fuses when the fans kicked on until I put a 40amp in there. Those 40amp fuse are hard to find. Running draw is probably around 20amp or so but it won't stay on that long unless your righ has other overheating issues.

gcurtis said:
As for your other question, I think it was on Dino's site (I could be wrong) where 2000 cfm was what you were looking for.

My write-up is on http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html but I don't know where the 2000cfm figure came from (might have been me).
My rule of thumb is a minimum of flywheel HP output x 10 in combined cfm for both fans e.g. 190hp -> 1900cfm to maintain adequate airflow at low road speeds. The stock auxiliary electric fan is 11" in diameter and should be pulling something like 1000-1200cfm. If you have a stock 4.0, a second ~1000cfm electric fan (e.g. Flexalite 110) will do but it'll be marginal. If you have a stroker, you need something bigger (at least 14" diameter) but you can also install a 14" fan even if you have a stock 4.0 to give yourself a wider safety margin. If you go crazy with the fan size (or cfm), you might find the amp draw's too high and need a higher output alternator to prevent it from draining the battery.
There's a whole host of electric fans for sale in e-bay so choose one that'll fit in the available space (not thicker than 3.25"). I used a slimline 14" fan and mounted it to the stock fan shroud. It pulls ~1800cfm and works great in conjunction with my newer style curved blade auxiliary fan.

Last edited:
53guy said:

I think you mean in parallel...? I have the 110 and the stock fan hooked up together like that and no problems for almost 1 year. From my experience, the 110 definitely can't do it alone with the stock aux fan going on at the stock set temp. That's probably why the 110 has such a bad rep on various boards. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with the 210.

Here are some install pics...

fal4.jpg

fal5.jpg

fal1.jpg

yes, that is what i meant, in parallel. So are the majority of people using the stock fan at the same time? Or should it be just a back up like it is in stock form? Thayer, did you install bolts in place of the studs on your stock fan pulley?

53guy said:
Thayer, did you install bolts in place of the studs on your stock fan pulley?
Yes, and also used a grinder to shorten the shaft to the height of the hex cap screws. I got the idea from someone here after this happened...

fal3.jpg

Under hard acceleration, the engine wiggled just enough to push the fan into the radiator. The other pic shows that I changed the spacers holding the FAL motor heat shield to washers to gain even more room for safety.

Back