• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Top vs Yellow Top

Which Optima?

• Yellow Top

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • Red Top

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need a new battery, and I have decided on an Optima. However, I am not sure which one to get. Disregarding price, which is better? Say daily driver, but also a weekend warrior. Ive read that Yellow tops do not like years of daily starting, but Red tops arnt as good for extra lights and winches. So, what would you do? And explain in 2,000 words or less. :)

what are you running now for accesories? what are you going to get in the future?

a red top and a good alternator can make a good combination.

sidriptide said:
what are you running now for accesories? what are you going to get in the future?

a red top and a good alternator can make a good combination.
I have a small sub and amp, electric fan override, and small other things. Plans include winch and a couple of lights.

I was hoping more for a broader discusion, to help more people then just me. ie, if you plan on a winch, dont do the Red Top, or the Yellow top will implode if you use it on DDers.
Thanks

yellow top if you're going to be putting serious draw on the battery like a winch or something. the deep cycle really helps out on them.

i run a red top in mine and i love it. then again i don't have any extras.

ifoundastick said:
Red top man... And if you close to a sears they price match... So you can get one for about 90 bucks

Sears for $90? Or match somewhere else to get to $90? I was going to buy one this week (quick before my old battery leaves me stranded in the cold!).

I have seen them from $129- $139. Not a good price by any stretch.

go with the yellow top... even if it implodes, they have two year warranties. I have had auto zone replace two of them with no questions asked.

Starboard M said:
I have a small sub and amp, electric fan override, and small other things. Plans include winch and a couple of lights.

I was hoping more for a broader discusion, to help more people then just me. ie, if you plan on a winch, dont do the Red Top, or the Yellow top will implode if you use it on DDers.
Thanks

There is an article in one of the recent magazines.

The Red is for starting with a higher CCA.

The Yellow is a Deep cycle.

The Blue is a combo.

The article said that the Blue with the light grey body is his preferred. Good CCA for starting, and deep cycle for long winch pulls and what not.

So in the future, looks like I will be dropping the little bit of extra cash for the Blue top.

I have a red top, and while it's never had a winch behind it, I can say that for starting in the New England winters, it has done me well for approx. 7 years now.

So, based on this new information that I read, I would suggest the Blue top Optima.

Erik

The Blue top is by far the best but at almost 200 clams it is a bit pricey. I run a yellow top and it works great.

Long story made short I worked the crap out of it trying to start the ol' MJ, took it out to start a 350 IROC, got that started, took the batery out and dropped it in a Berlinetta with a built 350 to start that car, It sat in my buddies pickup bed for two days, put it back in the MJ, accidentally hit the stereo and turned it on ( I didn't know at the time) and a friend shut it off for me 7 hours later.

All that and it still started the MJ the next day.

Trailbst said:
There is an article in one of the recent magazines.

The Red is for starting with a higher CCA.

The Yellow is a Deep cycle.

The Blue is a combo.

The article said that the Blue with the light grey body is his preferred. Good CCA for starting, and deep cycle for long winch pulls and what not.

So in the future, looks like I will be dropping the little bit of extra cash for the Blue top.

I have a red top, and while it's never had a winch behind it, I can say that for starting in the New England winters, it has done me well for approx. 7 years now.

So, based on this new information that I read, I would suggest the Blue top Optima.

Erik

Somewhat true. You are referring to the recent JP article. The blue (marine) comes in starting and deep cycle. The dark grey body is starting and the light grey body is deep cycle (or the other way around). I have a red and a yellow top, the red for my dd ZJ and a yellow for my wheeler XJ with winch, rock lights, etc. I would get a blue top deep cycle next if/when my yellow top gives out. The blue top deep cycle is just like the yellow top except that it has the nice wing nut top post attachment so it is easy to add accessories to it. I swapped to this wing nut attachment on my yellow top anyways, but I would have had it already if I got the blue originally had I known it then.

Get a deep cycle even if it is on your dd, it should have a 2 year warranty or more and just replace it if need be. The dry cell will outlast a conventional battery anways so it's definately a good investment.

Troy

might call Optima - in a recent phone conversation with a tech -

the told me that the yello top and blue deep cycle are EXACTLY the same - just the post size is different for marine/automotive clamp size

and

the red top is the same as the blue top starting battery...

just something that you might want to look into...

XJRanger is correct. Please find past tread on this subject. According to Optima Tech (call them yourself)
Red = starting
yellow = starting/deep cycle (dual)
blue = yellow with both terminals on top - one screw and one lead for both +&-.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52734.
Costco = blue = $150. Since I have a winch, it will be blue.

If your battery is used in vehicles that demand extra reliability and performance, or if you just take pride in getting the best performance out of your vehicle, OPTIMA RedTop batteries deliver the performance you demand.

If your vehicle has a lot of accessories like running lights, high-performance stereo/AV system, winches, or hydraulics, your vehicle demands more from its battery. OPTIMA YellowTOP batteries provide the extra performance and deep cycling capability that your vehicle demands

This is from the Optima web site. I have a Red tops in my truck and the winch is fine for a quick pull but I have to have the truck running for any serious pulling. I run a Yellow top in the XJ but is is not a daily driver it is a toy and as soon as I get the Waggy to my brother it is getting a winch, lights, etc. etc.

zjmikey said:
Both are JUNK..

BUy an Odyssey

Is this based on experience? If so, please quantify your statement. Or are you just talking out your butt?

based on experience, I have owned 3 optimas, 1 red top and 2 yellow tops, they have alll lasted about as much as their full replacement warranty, about 12-14 months.

Their customer service, leaves alot to be desired.

PLUS the Odyssey batteries are smaller, last longer, have a better discharge rate

I have had my Odyssey batteries for over 2 years now and not a single issue. Plus when you call the company someone that actually knows something about batteries answers the phone.

Odyssey engineers originally developed the optima, but then they re-developed it into what is now the current Odyssey battery lineup and the optima is the older style.

Get a PC1200MJT, that battery has the equivalent energy of 1.5 Optima Yellow tops.

I have 2 on my rig

heya i have a red top interstate... basically a optima (has the optima logo on it) it is a blem they for some reason deleted the side posts on it there for it is considered a blem. i paid like 60+ buck for it about a year and a half ago and it will hold a charge for about a week at a time. and i dont have any mahor accesories on my truck. just stopped holding a charge. so in my opinion i think i would look for something better or just buy a auto zone 3yr free replacement battery for half the price and keep swapping it out as needed

Funny - I have two Red Tops - one on its second XJ.

The only one I've had trouble with is mine - and that's usually because my wife doesn't remember to kick the 88 over once a week while I'm away for a while. Getting reactivated keeps me away for a few months at a time, and if you don't run the thing once in a while, it self-discharges like all rechargeable batteries.

Apart from that, no issues here. The other Red Top (the one that's been in one 89, then the other) has got at least four years on it with not a single complaint.

As far as reserve, I forgot and left my lights on while in CNC class last night (four and a half hours,) and I only noticed when I went to get going and the switch was still out. Didn't start any slower...

5-90

steveareno said:
XJRanger is correct. Please find past tread on this subject. According to Optima Tech (call them yourself)
Red = starting
yellow = starting/deep cycle (dual)
blue = yellow with both terminals on top - one screw and one lead for both +&-.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52734.
Costco = blue = $150. Since I have a winch, it will be blue.

right on XJ ranger. and stevareno.

The yellowtop is fine after three years in my XJ and 1 1/2 years in my astrovan. The yellowtop is a deep discharge battery, which means it bounces back from total or near total discharges to its original or near original perforamance much better than the red top or other regular batties. The cranking amps of the yellow top are just fine here in cold michigan winters i dont see needing much more ever. Maybe if you lived in minesota, north canada or alaska.

If you run lots of accessories like stereo, winch, lights etc and only are running one battery get a yellow top. I would persoanlly run a dual battery setup so your never left with out some juice. :rattle:

Back