• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new XJ owner needs some help with tranny swap.

blue_flip

NAXJA Forum User
I am 21 years old and i have alwayse loved Cherokees and i finally saved up enought to buy a 87' laredo 4.0I 5 spd man. for $1000 high miles but i figured just enough left to let me save up and budget build one. so anyway i didnt like the pugeot tranny that came in it(WHO DOES?) cause within the first 24 hours i bought it the internal slave blew on me, so i went out and got an AX-15 out of a 94', due to the external and way stronger slave cylinder. but now i have two problems the tranny did not come with a transfer case shift linkage or a tranny mount to connect with the crossmember. and i have gone through part after part from napa and web site to website, and i cant find iether item.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
its just sitting in my garage and i cant enjoy the awsomeness that is the XJ!

Last edited:
your transfer case shift linkage will be the same as the other tranny, it is adjustable

have you tried your old stock tranny mount to see if it will line up?

Stock Peugeot trans. mount won't work. You should be able to buy stock XJ trans. mount like for a '90+ /w the AX15. T-case linkage should work, if not I've got several lying around :)

JOhn

Avanteone said:
Stock Peugeot trans. mount won't work. You should be able to buy stock XJ trans. mount like for a '90+ /w the AX15. T-case linkage should work, if not I've got several lying around :)

JOhn
yeah i really cant seem to find one you say you have one "lying around"?

xjnation said:
your transfer case shift linkage will be the same as the other tranny, it is adjustable

have you tried your old stock tranny mount to see if it will line up?
no the rod that goes from the body to the tranny is too long it hits the tranny before it ever gets a chance to get centered on the x-member.

blue_flip said:
no the rod that goes from the body to the tranny is too long it hits the tranny before it ever gets a chance to get centered on the x-member.

cut it of a tad, are you sure the tranny is centered?

xjnation said:
cut it of a tad, are you sure the tranny is centered?
well see i have it mounted to the engine and the t-case mounted to the tranny and all of this is being supported by a jackstand under the t-case. so i tried to put the stock thanny mount on, the bolt pattern didnt match up. So I thought ok new part no big deal, but then i got to the t-case shift linkage. i had to move the whole tranny over 2.5 inches just to get it to clear the gearbox and the flange at the end of the rod doesnt allow me to bolt it to the tranny either. i went to the junk yard where i got the tranny and they said that they could not find either part from the vehicle. so i think that someone snatched them up before me of wreckers lost em. so i called a dealer and they wanted $150 bucks just for the linkage!!!! I was too afraid to ask for the mount after that. so you can see my dilema.

blue_flip said:
well see i have it mounted to the engine and the t-case mounted to the tranny and all of this is being supported by a jackstand under the t-case. so i tried to put the stock thanny mount on, the bolt pattern didnt match up. So I thought ok new part no big deal, but then i got to the t-case shift linkage. i had to move the whole tranny over 2.5 inches just to get it to clear the gearbox and the flange at the end of the rod doesnt allow me to bolt it to the tranny either. i went to the junk yard where i got the tranny and they said that they could not find either part from the vehicle. so i think that someone snatched them up before me of wreckers lost em. so i called a dealer and they wanted $150 bucks just for the linkage!!!! I was too afraid to ask for the mount after that. so you can see my dilema.

something is not quite right here. what you are saying is th ax15 is 5" wider than the BA10?????

I will head to the junkyard tomorrow an see if any of the newer xj's have a manual trans in them and measure........I thought that the 2 trannys where neaarly identical in width

xjnation said:
something is not quite right here. what you are saying is th ax15 is 5" wider than the BA10?????

I will head to the junkyard tomorrow an see if any of the newer xj's have a manual trans in them and measure........I thought that the 2 trannys where neaarly identical in width

well i deffinatly saw a differance in width i just didnt know it was that much, the ax-15 is also almost 2" taller from the mount than the pugeot as well.

xjnation said:
well this is the guide that persueded me to perform this swap but the problem is that when he bught the tranny he got everything with it(shift linkage, tranny mount, crossmember, etc.) i didnt get that when i bough mine so i am forced to find them seperatly.

So i still have a problem, i need parts and i am asking if any one has any suggestions.

I've got a good shift linkage from an 89 4.0/AX15/NP231 you can have for the cost of shipping from zipcode 83869 (North Idaho). I also have the tranny mount, but it's partially split. The mount is $45 from most mailorder places.

lawsoncl said:
I've got a good shift linkage from an 89 4.0/AX15/NP231 you can have for the cost of shipping from zipcode 83869 (North Idaho). I also have the tranny mount, but it's partially split. The mount is $45 from most mailorder places.

yeah dude i am sorry i cant accept that from you i need one from a 92 or newer. i hav already tried an 89'

thank you though it meant alot.

Back