• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix 4.0 rebuild

MOOSE16285

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any good site that I can follow on the process of rebuilding a renix 1990 4.0 with AC. And is it possible to rebuild and remove the AC option? Or would it be simpler to just rebuild and keep the AC option? I still can not get my engine running so I'd figure throw money and rebuild it, replace the wiring harness and enjoy any other tricks I can pull off for it... Anyway help is appreciated! - MOOSE

All you have to do, to delete A/C, is pull the connector from the Low-Pressure Cut-Off switch (LPCO) on the receiver/drier. The better method is to score an A/C "Idler" pully (the belts are the same - XJ's without A/C came with an idler pully in place. I have one - no, you can't get it from me. I'm using it right now... Ask others with good XJ junkyards to score one for you - it should only be a few bucks. I need to get a couple more...)

The RENIX 4.0 is easy to rebuild - but I'd want to make sure that a rebuild would solve my problem first. If you're having trouble with the "support systems" (ECU and such,) rebuilding your engine won't help, and is just a good way to spend money you won't see back. Didn't you flood your rig a while ago?

5-90

I posted on the XJOC how to rebuild your wiring harness... it involves redoing all electrical connectors and beefing up/ eliminating C101 if you have it...

I'm working on a similar idea - mainly, grouping the wiring into a logical order and eliminating the bulkhead connectors (as used) for Amphenols (which I like.) Target date? A year or so - I'll be doing a first verison concurrent with a restomod on an 89 Limited...

5-90

5-90 said:
Didn't you flood your rig a while ago?

I did... I dunno what to do anymore with the electricals so i figured I'd rebuild the engine till a lightbulb came on in my head and figure out the spark problem...

Thought so. I just wanted to make sure you were aware that rebuilding your engine won't necessarily fix the problem you're having...

If you'd like to find a Jeep I6-specific book - I've written one. Check my website for info (link in sig...)

As far as the other issues, I don't suppose you could wrack your brains and come up with a fairly detailed narrative starting when you flooded your rig? I'm not guaranteeing anything, but having another set of eyes and another brain on the problem might help - and it would give me someting else to do (that I'd be likely to enjoy...) Once you get it done, you can PM me for my email addy - I'm not sure it links from here... Be thorough, and be detailed. "Leave no stone unturned."

5-90

Sure, give me a day or two to remember EVERYTHING That happened and have done since and I'll get back to you... I purchased a Mazda 626 a month ago. Great little gas saver but I can't crap with it on my free time... I can't hit the trails or just joy ride the same like my Jeep... I miss my Jeep... Working on finishing month number 6 without it here in early February... I'll get back to you ab details... a short story... but here's a teaser on the clincher....
689844_49_full.jpg

No problem - I've had projects like that.

Just let me know when you recall everything, and send it to me so I have a version I can refer to offline (for some reason, there's no Wi-Fi on campus. I still do most of my work on my laptop anyhow - just transfer it with a thumb drive or a floppy...)

5-90

Back