• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash Illumination > Radio > Love Naxja!

krizgawd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all fellow XJ owners! Just got my first XJ,(1993 XJ, 4.0, 31's, its pretty basic) loving it...but having a couple of issues. BTW, I am really loving how helpful everyone is on this board, it is an immense help to have really great feedback. I spent numerous hours searching multiple posts for my answers, and I have solved most of my issues, but a few remain...

1.) No dash lights with the aftermarket stereo. I don't have a harness, but I have accurately wired the stereo..because it works, but I don't have dash lights. The only time I could get the dash lights (upgraded instrument cluster) to come on is when I hooked up the light blue/red wire (illumination) and the orange/black (dimmer) wires together, along with the orange (illumination of stereo) connecting. The dash lights, transmission selection, and all other pertaining dash lights would then come on , with the lights turned off. Upon turning on the parking lights/headlights, all these lights would then turn off. I have tried capping the light/blue red wire, and just have the dimmer and stereo illumination wires connected together to no avail. I've checked the fuses, with nothing seeming out of the ordinary.

2.) I also have a turn signal issue, which sounds like its most likely the turn signal switch. All the blinkers, both front and rear, work correctly, all bulbs are present. The turn signal accurately makes a right hand turn when selected, with the green arrow blinking a little bit faster than normal, and the 'clicking' sound coming from the relay as normal. When turned to the left for a turn, the turn signal wand seems to feel like it 'sticks', I can hear the 'clicking', but the green arrow doesn't show up on the dash. The turn signal wand also feels 'loose', there is play in it....but the rest of the responsibilites (windsheild, intermittent) still works as it should.

3.) The rest of my problems I think I have solved on my own, b/c of the people on this board...which is great. I hear the chirping blower on the pass side, which sounds like I just need to replace. I printed out the HVAC fix for the blower setting only being able to be on 'off' or 'high', so that is all set too. And the oil pressure gauge is pinned, which I learned from being from a disconnect oil pressure sending unit, so that should be easily resolved too.

Any feedback would be appreciated and welcome.

Hey there, welcome to the forums :) Get that name in RED ASAP!

To try and answer your questions...
1) try and check all the connections, since you dont have a harness im assuming its spliced. Make sure their all good. Also look for grounding issues. Shouldent be a problem but its somthing to look for.

2) Deffinatly the switch and is a common issue. Ive replaced mine. :D

3) i really dont know so maybe somone else can give you a hand.

:patriot: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

OK! So I got hardcore, and I went out in the notorious maine winter with a headlamp, and a 5 amp fuse was blown! I must have overlooked it....hahahah..now everything is working as planned....with exception to the turn signals....

BTW, how do I get my name in red?

krizgawd said:
OK! So I got hardcore, and I went out in the notorious maine winter with a headlamp, and a 5 amp fuse was blown! I must have overlooked it....hahahah..now everything is working as planned....with exception to the turn signals....

BTW, how do I get my name in red?

There is a screw in the column end of the arm that comes loose. A pain to get to. The turn signal arm is a little sloppy? The screw is something to check, before you think about a new column electrical contact/canceling assembly (which is really a pain to change).

If the blinker relay is clicking, and the front and rear turn flasher bulbs are illuminating....is it safe to say I can narrow it down to this screw, the fuse, and the turn signal switch? Thanks for everyones help!

after looking at a lot of the threads on this board, i have learned to just tinker and try things...and often times it works. i switched the bulbs behind my instrument cluster where the right and left blinkers are, which fixed my blinker issue. installed the radio (PITA), and everything is back where it should be now. hooray!

Back