• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG MTR's, pros & cons

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
So I went out and bought the lift, Rusty's 4.5". Anyways I'm going to go with a set of 33's and I like how the BFG muds look, and from what I hear they last long too.

SO, are the BFG MT's worth the money? Do they perform well and last long?

Just to clarify, they are BFG M/T's, not MTR's. Goodyear makes the MTR, which IMO is superior to the BFG.

All mudders are going to wear out fast, I have found my MTR's are louder than BFG's, but give better traction. Both are terrible in the rain/snow/ice. Eventually I want to go with a set of BFG A/T's for daily driver duties and then put my MTR's on trail wheels for trips.

BFG MTs= Good in mud, bad in rain, ok on road. MT = Mud Terrain. Most people seem to be pretty happy with them, on average.

Goodyear MT/Rs= Maximum Traction/Reinforced. NOT mud terrain. You might as well walk, they suck in mud. Ok on road and rain. Very good on rocks.

and yes, opinions will vary so dont' be surprised when 10 people jump up and say "you're an idiot, MT/Rs rock in mud!" or whatever.

Chris

BFG MTs outlast GY MT/Rs? Don't bet on it. I got 70,000 miles out of a set of 5 31x10.50 MT/Rs.

MT/Rs are also a lot quieter in my experience than the BFGs. No debate that they don't grip in the mud.

i dont know why you guys say that these tires are bad in the rain i never had any problems out of my 33 bfg's they were better than my old bfg 31 at's, i tend to notice that the bfgs dont clean very well they always get cacked with mudd and i just end up spinning sometimes and i haveg to fling them around to clean them

I personally won't go to a BFG. I think you pay for the name more than the duty. I had a set of Michelin AT and they were as loud as my mud terrains. I bought Kumho Venture MT and have loved every minute. I have 20K miles and they still look brand new. I would bet that I'll get 60 out of them. Not too loud and grip like hades. They are a 6 ply tire and my 32's only set me back 105 each. BFG's were 160.

I should point out that I've played in the snow with my MT/Rs and drove them for a number of years as a daily driver around Chicago.

Wet weather traction is significantly improved by siping.

be careful with what people claim to have gotten in miles on their tires. it all depends on the tire pressure they run at, the tire size they have, what kind of crap they have in the back, how they drive, how often they rotate tires. Tons of factors play into it. I have BFG muds and usually have a full tool box and parts (about 100 lbs of crap) plus a spare 35x12.50 in the back with the tools, recovery gear (another 25lbs at least) and I drive on the road a ton, upwards of 500 miles a week. I get about 50,000 miles out of my tires with rotations every oil change and about 25 psi of pressure in them. so take it for what its worth, but no one's gonna be getting the same mileage out of the tires because of their set ups. (ie, 31's can run about 35-40 psi easily).

It's a toss up. They are both decent tires. If you play in the mud more, get the BFG's. If it's in the rocks, then the MTR's. If it's not a DD, then just get a set of TSL's.

xjaholic said:
I personally won't go to a BFG. I think you pay for the name more than the duty. I had a set of Michelin AT and they were as loud as my mud terrains. I bought Kumho Venture MT and have loved every minute. I have 20K miles and they still look brand new. I would bet that I'll get 60 out of them. Not too loud and grip like hades. They are a 6 ply tire and my 32's only set me back 105 each. BFG's were 160.
Anyone else have experience with the Kumho Venture MT's?

Zoro said:
Anyone else have experience with the Kumho Venture MT's?

I almost bought a pair from TireRack, they sent me the wrong size. I found tha side walls to be on the thin side so I went with MTR's and have been very happy with them. But as I mentioned before, we wheel different terrain.

I did like the the look of the Truxus Mt's, they have a good thick side wall.

Whatever you do don't go cheapos.. Cooper mud tires suck! Went the cheap route once.. never again. The tread chunked off easily driving on roads and gravel, let alone what the trails would do to them.

Anyone have experience with the Toyo Open country M/Ts?Kyung

Kumho's go well... my uncle and best friend both have venture MT... one 33s and one 35s... they both bought them before I bought my tires and they both have better wear than I do. I actually saw where kumho was coming out with a new designed MT and it looks a lot like a procomp xterrain or baja claw... wait and get a set of those... they looked bad.

i personally have gotten 45000 miles on bfg mt' 33's. have 2 friends who have gotten the same. these were on tj's with 3 inches of lift driven hard. great road tire good off road tire. not great in mud. clog easily. if this is mostly a daily driver and sometime offroad. go with bfg's mt. if its a mostly off road. tsl's, iroks and have friends running the trxus mt's and they seem to like them on and off road. everyone i talk to says the goodyear mtr's have no latteral stability. but i have no personal experience with them. out west were its dry everyone seems to run goodyears.

I run 31 MT/R's on my XJ and my dad runs a set of them in the 33x12.5 size on his Rubicon. We both really like them. I'll be getting a larger set this spring I like them so much. I personally don't think they're that loud for such an aggressive tire, but I've got a good enough stereo to drown out anything.... They do like to clog up in thick mud, anything else they're fine with.

Living in New England I see a lot of winter and bad weather driving. I've found that newer MT/R's do pretty well in slick stuff and have no problem in loose snow. Once you get about half way through the tread life you do pass what little siping they came with, and there's a definite drop in traction. They still hold well enough for me though. Just don't get on the gas too hard or they will cut loose on you (though that can be fun...)

About the Toyo Open's...anyone I've ever talked to that had them said they look good and that's about it. On road they're pretty quite and handle well, but they don't grip well off road and they clog faster than the MT/R's in mud. None of them were in XJ's though.

i have 31" bfg mt's and i love em. mine are quieter than any other mud tires ive heard and havent shown any signs of wear in a year. id go with them again.

Back