• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum disco axle to non disco jeep

jayuu

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 93 xj with 3.07s(d30 front,chry 8.25 rear). i also have a parts jeep 86 xj with 4.10s(d30 disco front,d35 rear). i want the 4.10s on my 93. would the rear axle be a direct fit? or just a swap of the yokes? also how would i make the front axle work without converting the 93 to have some sort of vacuyum system?

edit:i could use on of those cable actuated things for the front. this place is hard to search.

Last edited:
The rear will bolt in, the front will also, you can swap the shaft and oil seal in the disco axle to use non disco shafts (BETTER)

Or.... you could spend $18 on a install kit and put the 4.10s in your front axle.

Why would you swap out the 8.25 for a d35? The money youre saving on not buying gears for the 8.25 will just be put into fixing the D35.

Swap the stuff in the front and save for the gears to put in your 8.25.

well basically i dont like paying people for labor. id rather do it myself. im sure i could swap the whole axles in a day or two. regearing sounds and looks like it will take me alot longer than that. but as spring is rolling around and mud will be plentiful i want to be sure im rolling by then. then ill regear the 8.25 while driving on the d35 and swap back.

Summit's way is better, the one peice axle will be stronger.

Getting the oil seals in and out can be tricky, though. Not impossible, just tricky.

A quicker, easier (more redneck) way is to just open the disco box, and stack some washers to lock the collar in the "engaged" position.

Just another idea...

Robert

DDCxj said:
Why would you swap out the 8.25 for a d35? The money youre saving on not buying gears for the 8.25 will just be put into fixing the D35.

A 27 spline 8.25 aint that much better then a dana 35. Besides the 86 dana 35 probley is non clip which can limp off the trail if the axle brakes, cant say that about the 8.25. I say go for it. If you run the d35 open i would do the swap. Its a cheap way of gettin 4.10s. With what u save on gas put it towards a 8.8 or a late model 29 spline 8.25.

Back