• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Front Calipers

Berrill

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a simple brake upgrade where I can just change the front callipers of my XJ and still continue to use the standard brake disk

The standard brakes just don’t “Bite” and seem slow to respond.

I know this is normal but im sure there is a better after market safe and reliable calliper out there.

Please help

Last edited:
Before you spend tons on new calipers try some braided brake hoses from Classictube.com or Inlinetube.com. More rigid hoses might give you higher pressure at the caliper end. Look into higher quality disc brake pads for more "bite" and perhaps some drilled or slotted rotors. A rear disc conversion using ZJ parts is cheap and simple and will add stopping power.

Berrill said:
Does anyone know of a simple brake upgrade where I can just change the front callipers of my XJ and still continue to use the standard brake disk

The standard brakes just don’t “Bite” and seem slow to respond.

I know this is normal but im sure there is a better after market safe and reliable calliper out there.

Please help

The simple answer is no.

There are a couple of things to get small improvements in braking, but no overall panacea short of going to a different axle or WJ outer knuckle and brakes (which works very very very well).

Search on the Dana 30 Tech thread that Crash put out and you'll get a better picture.

I remember seeing an article in 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine (I think) about a Teraflex high steer knuckle conversion and swapping over to some Chevy S-10 calipers but, for the life of me I can't find the article in my bathroom er...library........Hans

I had a huge stopping issue when I was running 32/33" tires on the road. Installed a set of power stop rotors and a good set of brake pads. Made a world of difference.
Before you start swapping knuckles and calipers, look into a set of drilled or slotted rotors and good pads.

Back