• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumbass rock slider mounting question..

mwm

NAXJA Forum User
When you guys are mounting your sliders what bolts are you using? Self tapping ones or are you drilling holes straight through the unibody and using a massive bolt? On the drivers side frame rail theres all those fuel lines and crap so im just curious how you mount them. Im making a set asap but i was curious weather people use self tapping bigass bolts or what.

mwm said:
When you guys are mounting your sliders what bolts are you using? Self tapping ones or are you drilling holes straight through the unibody and using a massive bolt? On the drivers side frame rail theres all those fuel lines and crap so im just curious how you mount them. Im making a set asap but i was curious weather people use self tapping bigass bolts or what.
drill, sleeve, bolt

bolts??

crap I welded mine to the unibody rail :)

actually on my first set I used the self tapping F type bolts and they worked themselves loose, after landing on the rails about100 times:)I ended up drilling the body all the way through and used a 1 "by 1 " backing plate and nut ..just make sure yoiu dont screw up the lines ..they will move around a bit to get the plate and bolt in there.. worked well enough ..back then I didint know how to weld so it was an easier fix for me

but the best way it to
drill sleeve and bolt

Haggar said:
When you are sleeving the rail, are you welding the sleeve in, or just drilling the hole and placing the sleeve in the hole?
I just pounded it in (It was a tight fit) but I imagine with time it must have loosened up a bit so should I ever remove my rock rails I'll be SOL. Next time around (my dad's rig) I'll tackweld the sleeve to the framerail.

Bolts?! Who needs bolts? I ran the slider's tubing through the frame and welded it to plates on both sides. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

94612925.jpg

94645232.jpg

Got to try them out at The Badlands in the fall. I dropped my truck on every rock and root I could find and all I did was scratch the paint. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete M said:
Bolts?! Who needs bolts? I ran the slider's tubing through the frame and welded it to plates on both sides. :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

94612925.jpg

94645232.jpg

found this thread while researching the rock rails I will be building this weekend -
Nice job thinking 'outside the box'. (I would insert applause smilie but can't find one...) I really like the mounting at the frame rail and the square tubing on edge for the slider itself - sheer genius!
thanks for sharing your pics

Thanks!. :D There should be more pics at http://www.picturetrail.com/petermontie down in the "protection" folder.
If you need any shots from other angles, just lemme know. :cheers:
Jeep on!
--Pete

Back