• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fenders

IcedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OKay this is as good of a time as ever to ask this. I was pulled over earlier today (I am in the Bay Area of California) and I was warned to get some sort of flares or mud flaps on my XJ....well, there is one small problem, I have cut all off that part of the front/rear body panels. Any suggestions on how I can get some flares on there, I was thinking for the front I could somehow heat the panels up and bend them outwards, would not give much protection but would make the tires be legal. So any suggestions?

You were suggested the TJ flare because they are easily modified to fit XJs and they fit with much more cut out. They are also WAY cheaper than getting bushwackers or other aftermarket flares.

Some people think they are ugly, some like their look.
I run them with 33x12.5 tires and they keep a lot of mud out of the cabin with the major trimming & doorless mods I have.

what size wheels are they on????

jfiscus said:
You were suggested the TJ flare because they are easily modified to fit XJs and they fit with much more cut out. They are also WAY cheaper than getting bushwackers or other aftermarket flares.

Some people think they are ugly, some like their look.
I run them with 33x12.5 tires and they keep a lot of mud out of the cabin with the major trimming & doorless mods I have.

I also run TJ flares on mine with 31x10.50 for now. I bought the tires before the flares and my wife has cut off jeep spending until something either breaks or wears out. When they do wear out I'm going with 34x10.50 swampers on 15x8 ProComp Xtreme steel rockcrawler wheels. About the flares if you have cut too much already go to Rusty's website and they have complete replacement fenders with built in bulges. They are expensive, but if it's you're only resort then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Well the mounting in the front is no problem at all, I just worry about the rear panels. I mean the wheel well is two panels, but is that second outer panel (the one that faces down on the tire)...I mean if I could remove some of that then I could drill some holes and mount some flares and at least have some room to get a nut and wrench in there then it is all good.

When I mounted mine I cut the flares in half to allow the back doors to open and drilled straight through the door to mount the front part and the back part you can get to by taking out the plastic moulding in the back cargo area and that goes straight to the body panel and you can mount the bolts that way for the rear.

oh okay. yeah then i will go ahead and get a set of TJ flares...I guess I will not cream when I cut them to fit...like I would if I spent 400 on Bushwacker.

Lilredrover do you have any pictures of what it looks like?

Just got home from work, so here goes nothing:

flares004.jpg

flares003.jpg

flares002.jpg

flares001.jpg

I didn't even wire in a light. I bought a couple of the reflectors off ebay and stock those in just to cover the hole and make it look better. It wouldn't be hard to wire it up with a bulb in there, I just haven't done it.

Back