• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper dimensions, measurements, CAD?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I am starting to think about fabbing my own rear bumper, or at least designing one to have someone else build it.

Does anyone have the stock measurments or dimensions of the rear end? (mounting holes, etc) A CAD file would be great.

Build it to your truck. Measure things as you build the bumper. If you go by some measurments that you dug up somewhere. I promise you, you will have to tweek things. That will be more of a pain in the :moon: than building it to the specs of your rig.

Yes, I realize I can measure my own set up. Why re-invent the wheel though? If the information is out there, so I was hoping someone might have it or point me in the right direction to it. I mean, how millions of XJ's were built? They can't all be that different.

standby....

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66040&highlight=rear+bumper+dimensions

quickbumper.jpg

I ran outside with a tape-measure not 5 minutes ago

This is the usual mounting surface. It is not flush. You need about 2" of spacing between the mounting surface and that 64" wide surface to do it right. After that, there's between 2-3" more inches before you're flush with the hatch.

Examine this rough cross-sectional diagram
quickbumper2.jpg

Sorry but MS Paint is about as fancy as I'll get. My designs are all on engineering paper in a notebook somewhere.

Here's a sampling from my parts list for a rear bumper:
1 driver's side nutstrip
8 M10x1.5x80
10 M12x1.75x50
8 M10 washers
10 M12 washers

From that cross section you can see that you can slap a 4x4 (or whatever) and put 2" worth of space between it and your mounting surface so that it will protect the hatch. I was inspired by a 4x6 of 1/4" square tubing I saw at a meet and greet in Denver last year.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll try and get things in AutoCAD at least so others can use them if they are looking for the same info. I will have it modeled in 3-D too, so I'll get that up too.

Back