• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Shocks / No Sway Bar

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
It's always a big debate when the issue comes up of not using the front sway bar on the road. I personally don't think it is safe, so I run quick D's.

I don't ever recall anyone bringing up adjustable shocks to help eliminate the sway problem. Curries AntiRocK sway bar for TJ's reduces sway but does not eliminate it. It seems acceptable for that crowd.

Would adjustable shocks cure body roll on an XJ without a front SB enough to be acceptable for the "pro swaybar on road" crowd?

Has anyone experimented with it? I had some adjustables on a softly sprung 4 Runner once that meant the difference between an uncontrollable ride and a very decent ride.

I would like to hear if anyone has tried it.

Harvo said:
It's always a big debate when the issue comes up of not using the front sway bar on the road. I personally don't think it is safe, so I run quick D's.

I don't ever recall anyone bringing up adjustable shocks to help eliminate the sway problem. Curries AntiRocK sway bar for TJ's reduces sway but does not eliminate it. It seems acceptable for that crowd.

Would adjustable shocks cure body roll on an XJ without a front SB enough to be acceptable for the "pro swaybar on road" crowd?

Has anyone experimented with it? I had some adjustables on a softly sprung 4 Runner once that meant the difference between an uncontrollable ride and a very decent ride.

Adjustable ran at a "harsh" setting would help but I don't think they would get any close to even what the antirock does. Why not get the antirock and run it on an XJ? It's been successfully done.

ive got teh rusty adj shocks with 7 in of lift on my xj, ive tried it out theres nothing like a sway bar for the highway, i am interested in that antirock system with 33's and my habbit of running over anything possible i blow out my sway bar bushings twice a year. if any body has any good info on the anti rock system on an xj please point me in that direction

BigBlueXj said:
ive got teh rusty adj shocks with 7 in of lift on my xj, ive tried it out theres nothing like a sway bar for the highway, i am interested in that antirock system with 33's and my habbit of running over anything possible i blow out my sway bar bushings twice a year. if any body has any good info on the anti rock system on an xj please point me in that direction
PM Dan Turner: he's running it.

now for the front sway bar. I have a set of JKS quicker disconnects and I have noticed my axles is off to the right (when looking at it from the front) by not much. I was thinking to fix this what do I have to change b/c i remember when I was putting my 3" lift on, I had a problem with the upper ca's they were pushing the axle to the right. I need to get some sort of sway bar on my jeep b/c it is not fun having to worry about counter-steering.

Harvo said:

I've done it a couple of times on the pavement between trails. Even with the RS9000s set at 9 (stiffest), it still spooked me. Shocks vs. torsion bar; apples vs. oranges. The adjustable shocks do help with a fully loaded rig, especially with plenty of weight up top in the roof rack.

I'm sure that if you are used to running with out a sway bar that the stiffer shocks may give you a false sense of security. False is the key here.

your swaybar doesn't have anything to do with your axle being off centered, again it's the trackbar like someone ^^^^^ previously mentioned. That's what keeps the axle in place.
For adjustable shocks, remember a stiff setting is going to give you a stiff and harsh ride. So you won't roll, you'll buck.

Chris

I haven't used a sway bar in years. I've never had a problem. Don't have to deal with disconnecting them, and I don't get a loud bump, when I hit potholes.

im new in this site how do i contact this dan turner, and as for not running a sway bar sure u won have problems but i still drive my xj with 33's like its a porshe they without a question keep that front end from twisting two far, if your gonna go with a new track bar rustys makes a great adjustable. and it also comes with the frame mounting bracket, nice and beefy. easy install...

BigBlueXj said:
im new in this site how do i contact this dan turner, and as for not running a sway bar sure u won have problems but i still drive my xj with 33's like its a porshe they without a question keep that front end from twisting two far, if your gonna go with a new track bar rustys makes a great adjustable. and it also comes with the frame mounting bracket, nice and beefy. easy install...

I wouldn't use Rustys track bar. I haven't used it personally, but a lot of people have had problems with it. I'd go RE. JKS also makes a decent one.

Back