• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help finding / fixing a leak in my '98 XJ

Rjackson32

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 Cherokee Sport that has been leaking lately in the passenger and diver footwell. I went at it today, trying to find the origin of the leak after doing a lot of reading up on past threads on naxja. I currently have the passenger seat out and carpet pulled up. I can see the bare metal of the frame and this black rubber peice that only covers part of the floor.

Here is what finally got me to try and fix the problem...

I had the jeep parked up with the drivers side wheel up on a rock in my school parkinglot. It had been snowing the night before and there was a minimal ammount of snow on my hood that was melting. I got into the truck and looked over at the passenger foot well and there was a stream of water comming down from the glovebox area. And that was it for me, let alone the mildue smell that has been harvesting is just disgusting.

So, currently, my truck is in the garage, and I have a jack that is lifting up the divers side wheel, (with hopes to recreate the problem) I poured glasses of water onto the area right under the windshield wiper area, that black mesh. I should also note that i also have that peice unscrewed and I have tired pouring water underneath it but to no avail. Any suggestions? I cant stand this anymore. I want a dry, good smelling XJ by tomorrow!

The way that worked the best for me in finding leaks is to take a household/cleaner spray bottle filled w/water and set the nozzle on straight stream. Have somebody liberally squirt suspected areas while you look for water coming into the interior. Some areas I had issues with were the blower motor seal inside the engine compartment. Water can drip on the motor/seal area and seep through. This is very common with XJ's. I've had 2 with the exact same issue. Another area worth squirting at is on the driver side up on the firewall near the main wiring harness in the engine compartment. I had a decent leak there also. With the carpet out it should be pretty easy to pinpoint the areas where water is getting in. Good luck.

I give up. Looks like I'll just have to live with an intoxicating smell and wet floors. I guess thats what you get for buying an american car, at least it runs.

I just resolved a driver’s side leak on my 94. It took a good deal of time to track down the leak. First I stripped all the insulation so the water wouldn't get detoured from where ever the leak was from. Now it was time to start testing.

My first bet was the windshield. I pulled the dash cowl and hit everything with a hose, When that didn't pan out I figured it was probably from the roof rack running down the A-pillar. I pulled the driver side A-pillar interior panel and used the hose again; Still nothing.

Then I thought it might be from the wiper box, nope. At this point I was stumped, so I popped the hood to check the gaskets on the clutch master and brake booster. They were fine as well. However, while running water over the clutch master I found my leak. it was from the fuse box.

It may take a great deal of detective work to track down a leak, but if you're diligent, you'll find it.

Kent :)

You guys have re-instilled hope in me! Haha. I am busy for the next two weeks but I will go at it again in a few weekends.

Today I put a hose up on the roof and ran massive ammounts of water over the front of the car. I saw water comming out of the A-pillar, where that little dot is, and I saw some water comming from under the glovebox, or more specifically from under that rubber mat which is under the carpet. That is as far as I could get, It got dark and needed to put it all back together. Do you guys know if Eagle is still on vacation? I was thinking of taking it up to him to have him check it out.

Sounds like you're getting good advice on finding the leak, but I'd make a small change to how to seal it...

Before you run to the hardware store, check your local parts house for "Auto Glass Sealer" - it's made by Permatex, and is essentially a lighter-weight silicone that is designed to "flow" into small cracks and gaps - and will give you a better repair. I keep it around for re-sealing window seals and gaskets, and it works well.

If possible, heat the area just slightly (warm to touch, no more!) and that will help the silicone flow into the cracks. I've been known to use a hair dryer to heat the area just before I put the silicone on...

5-90

Back