• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Leak...

8700XJS

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I have searched.

First, it is a 2000 2WD Sport (no I am not going to do a 4WD swap) with the AW4.

My issue is that there is a small drip that shows up on the tail of the tranny where the drive shaft connects.

My question is this. Do I need to just pull the shaft, pull the seal and put in a new seal? If so is it as simple as I think it should be? I have all the factory manuals available for it I have yet to find a section that addresses the seal in question.

If anyone can point me to the right page in the DC Manual that would be great too.

Thanks.

I actually did that before i did my 4wd swap, bc i had that leak. THe seal needs to be replaced. To do it you need to take out the driveshaft, and with a screwdriver take out the seal. Be patient so you dont scratch the seal tranny surface. Pick up a replacement a using a rubber mallet and wood block tap it in.

pete

I figured it was simple. I might see if I can get a seal installer from autozone on their tool rental program.

Thanks for your reply.

I had a similar problem and replaced the seal, but it still leaked. I tried to find the next size, but it would not fit.
Just my experience. I just keep an eye on the fluid level every oil change or time I am under there. Has not seemed to loose too much between checks. As a matter of fact I ususlly do not need to add any.

Back