• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case swap.

Cherokeelaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be swapping the T-case in my 89 XJ. It is the Np242.
ANy tips you guys have to makle my life easier, what oil should i use in it afterwards? What would be the easiest way to get the bolts out?
Basically I am asking for any advice/tips/help, from those who have gone through it. I ried searching, but got mostly problems realted to the TC, not how to re and re.
Thanks in advance.

The way I do them is to remove the crossmember, use a floor jack under the transmission, and lower it slowy down to gain better access to the bolts that hold on the T-case. And of course remove everything else that needs to be. Don't drop it down to far, because it will put stress on the motor mounts and other parts.

Use Dexron II/III Automatic Transmission Fluid for it when you change it out.

Undo it at the rounded flange and not the back of the trans. Undo linkages before lowering. Use synthetic or regular Dexron ATF afterwards.

PS: Drain the oil BEFORE you pull the driveshaft out! ;)

All right, it is in. After nearly 12 hours of excrusiating labour, all the U joints on front/ rear driveshaft have been replaced, many components lubed, and the old NP 242 out, and new one in!

Back