• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt rear axle now it groans

mikerhyne

NAXJA Member # 1375
I just finished rebuilding my Dana 35 to fix a bad pinion bearing and now I get a groan/vibration when I decelrate down to about 2-3 mph. When I rebuilt it I replaced all bearings and seals including the wheel bearings and new u joints in the rear drive shaft. I followed all of the instructions I could find and seemed like I had a good pattern and the prelaod on the pinion was a little light at about 20 in./lbs.

I'm going to tear back into it tomorrow but figured I check to see if anybody had an idea that would save me some time.

Thanks!!

Mike

Backlash is what I will check first it was .008 but maybe I didn't quite measure it right so maybe its more?

Thanks!

mikerhyne said:
Backlash is what I will check first it was .008 but maybe I didn't quite measure it right so maybe its more?

Thanks!
If it is only noisy when you let off the gas it is the backlash.
I had a typo in my other post it should be .003-.006.
You need to start over with everything if it's wrong.

Thanks that is what i'll do just wanted to see if it was something simple. Nice to do it again since I am trying to lear how it all works with the stock gears for when I go higher.

Thanks,

Mike

Sorry to go off topic a little, but;

How did you set pinion depth when re-doing the axle? I'm considering rebuilding the axle for 2WD XJ I just picked for $900. When I read about the setting pinion depth, although I have a dial indicator, I have no hope of collecting all the tools to do it according to the manual. Is there a trick to setting pinion depth without using the special tools? I'm guessing you determine pinion depth by the pattern in the grease on the teeth?

Thanks for the help! I've got it correct now .004 and a good pattern. Ended up using the stock shims to get it perfect.

Rick:
In my case I left the same pinion shims in that were in there stock and just didn't measure. Seems like that worked just fine.

Thanks,

Mike

That makes sense, since I too would re-use the pinion and ring gears, the original shims would give the same pinion depth for the original pinion.

I would "ASSUME" that if the pinion depth was off, you would see that in the pattern in the grease/paste on the ring gear. If you've got the correct backlash, and the pattern is good, then the pinion depth must be at least adequate?? Is that a correct assumption? If the backlash is correct but the pattern is wrong, then pinion depth would be the first thing to suspect being off?

Rick,

Your assumptions are exactly what I have assumed and what seems to have worked just fine for me. But assumtions are just that. I did read in allot of the information I pulled that 60% even with new gears your old shims will be right.

Maybe one of the other people will post that know more than me.

Back