• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford coil springs

dizank

NAXJA Forum User
hey i have been hearing that mabey ford 150 coils might fit in the xj if so does any body now how much you gain in hight my jeep is an 88 4.0 auto oh and what year ford also is there any other springs that are compadable thanks hope this makes sense

Search and ye shall receive more than you ever wanted to know.

try the search button it has been covered and many times.yes they fit ,yes they give you lift.yes they will give you the most bone jaring ride you will ever be in for.buck and spend the money on coils that were made for you vehicle .there is this thing called spring rate .the fords is to high for the weight of the XJ

spring rate is much higher so un loaded it will be rough but put on some HD bumpers a winch larger fuel tank 5 people you won't be a lowrider like with the factory spring rate. I would also recomend bringing up the rear spring rate as well.

I am currently running the f 150 coils in my xj with an additional one inch polly spacer that i made. I love the ride.. actually rides like a jeep now. I added the spacer to help level the jeep out as the s 10 pack that i added to the xj main leaf gave me a nice 4 inches or so of lift. Cant complain about it and the leaf pack actaully flexes nice. If you lift the front with the 150 coils you can use the stock length shocks and in the back i just welded a bolt to the axle tube as a really cheep relocation.. works great! Doin long arms though next weekend so prolly goin to swap in some 4.5 or 6 inch coils and come up with some cash for a new leaf pack, but for a hacked lift under 100 bucks to run 33s i loved it!

thanks everybody thats my goal excatly i got some 32s and im being impatiant i live in a little rednack town were fords are everywere so for now free beeis and start saving for a proper lift just need to stuff the tires under there thanks again
oh does it make a diffrence if its 2x4 or4x4 the 2x4 would probebly be better right little less stiff ?

If you are going to go with the ford springs use 4x4 lift springs I have 6" lift springs on my xj and got 7 1/2 -8 out of them if you are looking for 3-4" lift find a 4" lift coil and cut it to get your ride where you want it neater than adding blocks.

ya i have a 4" spring pack from a 94 yj for the back that ill turn into a basterd pack then im gonna get a pair of 78 or later ford coils just not sure did the fords come with 4,5,6 " coils stock in diffrent models or you just half to find aftermarket ones

dizank said:
ya i have a 4" spring pack from a 94 yj for the back that ill turn into a basterd pack then im gonna get a pair of 78 or later ford coils just not sure did the fords come with 4,5,6 " coils stock in diffrent models or you just half to find aftermarket ones
Look for an after market or one sitting high if your searching wrecking yards very easy to find though. If you use the older f150 spring its top is D shaped not O shaped like the xj use the newer O shaped one from ttb ford or you will have to cut The D off and make a bucket to center it on the xj spring pad. I have seen some of the older broncos/ IH (small ones) pre 77 have O shaped coils.

thats interesting another guy said if you used the newer than 78 that the bottom is d shaped and will not fit so you use the bronco springs from a full size or the bronco 2 and what year

I don't know all the years and applications I know they both work one just needs to be modified to work on the xj. The ones I bought had the D shaped end and i didn't find it hard to work with but If you have the choice don't get the d shaped coil end unless you want to do the work to make it fit. Look at the first gen bronco 2nd gen bronco and bronco II at tyour local scrap yard and then make your decision.

I don't know all the years and applications I know they both work one just needs to be modified to work on the xj. The ones I bought had the D shaped end and i didn't find it hard to work with but If you have the choice don't get the d shaped coil end unless you want to do the work to make it fit. Look at the first gen bronco 2nd gen bronco and bronco II at tyour local scrap yard and then make your decision. Mine were for 2nd gen bronco with 6" lift D shaped end.

I got mine brand new from advanced auto for 60 i believe... coil springs for a 78 ford f150 with the 351 v8... stock height. They have the O- bottoms everyone talks about.. i tryed for newer ones before but with the d bottom they didnt fit. good luck

Got mine from Advance Auto (TRW CS8228), I believe for a 1979 through. About 2.5" lift out of them, bouncy as heck, but fun for urban divits and potholes (mine rarely sees dirtroads). Unless you are looking for a luxury type ride, don't consider them.

Back