• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE and Front DS Choice for '96 XJ

boomhauer

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks ahead of time for your help.
I've searched and tried to get the info i'm looking for but it's a forum so i'll just go for the definitive answer.

Specs: 1996 AW4, 29 Spline (factory) rear 8.25, D30 HP front. 4.5 actual/measured lift.

Questions:
1. What year DS would be best for my XJ, a '96 would be my guess?
2. What scope of years should i stay within'?
3. Is it just a matter of the DS coming from an AW4?

For clarity sake, i want to run a front DS in the rear with my SYE.

This comes up alot, a sticky would be great on this subject.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
boomhauer said:
Thanks ahead of time for your help.
I've searched and tried to get the info i'm looking for but it's a forum so i'll just go for the definitive answer.

Specs: 1996 AW4, 29 Spline (factory) rear 8.25, D30 HP front. 4.5 actual/measured lift.

Questions:
1. What year DS would be best for my XJ, a '96 would be my guess?
2. What scope of years should i stay within'?
3. Is it just a matter of the DS coming from an AW4?

For clarity sake, i want to run a front DS in the rear with my SYE.

This comes up alot, a sticky would be great on this subject.

Thanks again.
You say your '96 has 29 spline shafts? I also have a '96 and was told that '96 and earlier were 27 spline.......hmm. I might have to pull an axle shaft and do some counting.........Hans

Oatmeal said:
You say your '96 has 29 spline shafts? I also have a '96 and was told that '96 and earlier were 27 spline.......hmm. I might have to pull an axle shaft and do some counting.........Hans

96 is a transition year so parts can be different depending when your Jeep was produced. No one really knows with a 96 unless you count the splines.

On My 96 I have 4.5" lift and run a HD SYE with a front DS. It doesnt matter what year front ds you use as long it came off a aw4. When you do get a DS it may be a good idea to change all the u-joints.

JIMBOJAMES said:
96 is a transition year so parts can be different depending when your Jeep was produced. No one really knows with a 96 unless you count the splines.

On My 96 I have 4.5" lift and run a HD SYE with a front DS. It doesnt matter what year front ds you use as long it came off a aw4. When you do get a DS it may be a good idea to change all the u-joints.

Great thanks for the answer i was looking for.
Transition year, lol, you got that right! half my parts are '97 especially the electronics end of things. If you have a late model 96, chances are though you receive the 29 splines.

What month was your 96 made? My 96 was made in Sept but I dont know if its 27 or 29. One of these days I'll pull an axle to find out.
Back to your question. Im doing the same thing you are, front DS for the rear. Ive already got an RE hack and tap (uninstalled) but Im considering a PORC SYE. The only advice I have, and this may or may not be true, maybe someone who knows will jump in. In my search for a front DS, Ive eliminated the years with disconnects because I dont think they balanced the front DS from the factory when used with disconnect axles because they dont rotate all the time as a nondisconnect DS would.

Ray H said:
What month was your 96 made? My 96 was made in Sept but I dont know if its 27 or 29. One of these days I'll pull an axle to find out.
Back to your question. Im doing the same thing you are, front DS for the rear. Ive already got an RE hack and tap (uninstalled) but Im considering a PORC SYE. The only advice I have, and this may or may not be true, maybe someone who knows will jump in. In my search for a front DS, Ive eliminated the years with disconnects because I dont think they balanced the front DS from the factory when used with disconnect axles because they dont rotate all the time as a nondisconnect DS would.

Mine is the same 9-96. Remove the rear diff cover, drain, jack'er up push on the D/S wheel, get a sharpie, make a mark at a spline, start your rotating the wheel slowly and count the mark you made last. I counted mine at least 4 times! My 29 spline No-Slip fit, so it's all good. You dont have to pull the axle, you'll be able to see the splines.

Great point on the Balancing of the shaft, good call. Now, do we know what years to eliminate as i'm only intimate with my 96 (picked her right off the lot spanking new and haven't cheated on her since!)?

Back