• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler heat shield important

skog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj sport. I was driving down the road and hear a woosh and then it sound like we are draging a tin can. I pull over and the heat shield above the muffler was ripped off and wrapped around the tail pipe. I just pulled it out and drove home. Do I need to install it or will it be fine with out it?

thanks
skog

I would keep it on just for safety, but others may think it is not needed. I'm sure a new one would not cost to much. You could always add a fuel tank skid plate and that would replace the cheap heat shield. If you do replace it, take your time taking out the bolts that originally attach it. Sometimes these rust up and if you pull to hard, it could break the nut off the reinforcement bracket in the frame rail.
Alex

Watch out for your parking brake cable that passes over the muffler. The little springs that hold the cable tight to the underside of the unibody broke on mine and the cable ended up resting on the muffler. It actually seized in the engaged position when I was parked (manual transmission) after driving around. Then when I released the parking brake, the passenger side brake did not release and I essentially ened up driving around with the brakes on.

Kevin said:
Watch out for your parking brake cable that passes over the muffler. The little springs that hold the cable tight to the underside of the unibody broke on mine and the cable ended up resting on the muffler. It actually seized in the engaged position when I was parked (manual transmission) after driving around. Then when I released the parking brake, the passenger side brake did not release and I essentially ened up driving around with the brakes on.
did you get glowing red drums? i had that happen to me on a vw truck.

and yes it can burn a hole through the carpet. the po of my jeep was rearended and the muffler got bent up so it touched the floor. ended up making a hole rusting through and a big hole in the carpet. i plan on hercing it this spring.

I would put it back. My '96 didn't come with one and it got so hot under the rear seat on the passenger side this summer the carpet melted. I have heard of carpet catching on fire. I bought one out of a junkyard and installed it, but haven't driven it on a trip in hot weather to find out if it helped.

2000XJSPORT said:
You could always add a fuel tank skid plate and that would replace the cheap heat shield.

Huh?

I have the gas tank skid, and the heat shield. What you're saying doesn't make sense.

And yes, I vote to keep it. It's there for a reason.

I'd put it back on. I got hard on the throttle in the mountains for a while, and then sat at a red light .. my passengers started getting light headed from the carpet burning. I ended up buying aftermarket heat shielding for my muffler and cat.

Back