• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carpet = gone

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
Well im pretty damn confused now. After searching on removal of the carpet and flooring alternatives ive pulled such a wide amount of ideas on the subject i have no flyin clue what i want now.

Situation: carpet is leaving. ASAP. Need waterproof floring substitute.

Searches (some) tell me to rip her out and herculine the floor. others say only do that if you "want to cook a pot roast on the pasenger side". Some say to rubberize, some say to herculine. Some say to herculine OVER the carpet.

I dont understand at this point what would be the best avenue. Everyones got a different point/idea/opinion.

If everyone could explain their views on the subject id appreciate it. As you guys know i had about 3 feet of water inside last saturday and my carpet is still wet, smells, and is so humid inside the cab its unbelievable...

:D

There's no hurry.

Pull the carpet out now. Throw down some 'PantSavers'.

Then, wait for spring.

You'll appreciate the extra heat during the winter months.

well you kno, i aint in a hurry, if you dont think there will be an issue i would just as not rather put anything down now if i can avoid it.

what do you mean by pant savers? :D

edit: hurry to pull carpet OUT but not nessecarily in a hurry to put anything back in.

helix said:
edit: hurry to pull carpet OUT but not nessecarily in a hurry to put anything back in.
Exactly.
I don't think you're gonna get anything to dry, unless you have a heated garage, and from what I've read, if this is your DD, you will have brain damage after 3 days.

Lou said:
Exactly.
I don't think you're gonna get anything to dry, unless you have a heated garage, and from what I've read, if this is your DD, you will have brain damage after 3 days.

get what to dry, the (whatever i lay down) or the carpet, seats...?

It is my DD and i have braindamage allready or i wouldent have dont that stupid shit that did this to me in the first place :D

Im in the procese of ripping out all of my carpet and hercing the inside. A frinend of mine did the same thing and he melted a video camera that was beside the seat. Seeing how I dont want that to happen, I think Im going to put the heat refleectors on the underside of the tranny tunnel. Not sure what its called, but people put it by cats and such and it is suposed to limit heat.

heat sheild the exhaust and lay the liner on thick put video cameras in protective cases and off the floor

so basically i could just rip out carpet, heat shield it all (just to do it right the first time) then herculine right over it?

I would actually prefer a rubberized coating as aposed to a tougher bed liner type of coating. What would you reccomend for that type of product?

bedliner is rubberish check out linex on google they have a website and have tons of colors to choose from.
rember to prep the floor before ya put anything down

I ripped out my carpet and coated the entire floor in Durabak. I chose them because they had the "tan" color I wanted to match my interior. It is noisier without carpet, but so what? Get you some heavy-duty floor mats, glue some of that sound deadening mat to the backside, trim around them, that will help on the noise and the heat transmitting thru the floor. Get some 1/8" aluminum sheet and fab some heat shields for your cat and muffler, it helped alot on mine. I LOVE not having to worry about getting water inside my Jeep now! My .02.

ripped mine out not too long ago and just left it like it is. there wasn't any rust and the paint that was there looked alright. i just threw down some cheapo rubber mats to block some of the heat coming out of the passenger side floorboard.

for right now, why dont u toss a couple of boxes of baking soda in the carpet, set up a heat lamp or two (if u have a garage, and attempt to dry the carpet out for the moment)...the baking soda (use armorall) will kill the smell, and help soak up a lot of the moisture....that or borrow a wet/dry vac and suction it all out......just my idear....when it gets closer to spring/warm months then fix it.

ladywolf said:
for right now, why dont u toss a couple of boxes of baking soda in the carpet, set up a heat lamp or two (if u have a garage, and attempt to dry the carpet out for the moment)...the baking soda (use armorall) will kill the smell, and help soak up a lot of the moisture....that or borrow a wet/dry vac and suction it all out......just my idear....when it gets closer to spring/warm months then fix it.

you have to pull the carpet up to dry it. the carpeting has a rubberized backing that traps tons of moisture under it as well as the 1/2" of insulation under it that will not dry by just vacuming it. i've pulled my carpet up and even after a few days (in the summer) of a fan blowing on it, it was still moist.

IMO rubber, vinyl or anything else that doesn't breath makes a poor floor covering (heat or sound deadener). Three solutions are to live with the sour water smell, wipe under the floor matts often or put something down that breaths.
I've used thick rubber matts, that were ribbed on the bottom and had holes for evaporation and drainage (used in butcher shops etc.). On my YJ I used Astro turf (in brown) perforated from the factory to drain and breath. I used Velcro to keep it in place.
Trying to dry the carpet too quick will shrink it and cause rather large wrinkles, that's what happened to my YJ carpet. Taking it out to dry, has rarely worked out for me, I've never gotten it to fit right again.

I pulled my carpet and liner, replaced the rotted out floor on the driver's side and then POR15 both sides and then went over it with HippoLiner. Its a do it yourself box liner that goes on with a brush a roller. Turned out VERY nice! But it IS way louder and there is considerable heat transfer. The hottest spot that I have noticed in NOT the exhaust but the transmission tunnel! On a warm day after wheeling for a while I can'nt put my hand on the transmission tunnel beacuse of the heat tranfer from the automatic tranny.

Last edited:
best idea for everyone is to rip the carpet and padding! then undercoat (bed line) the whole pan that'll cost 30-40 bucks then use dynamat or fatmat via ebay and do the entire pan 70-100 dollars. then order yourself the vinyl floor covering from 1a automotive 118 +ship. if this doesnt remove all drivline and road noise i don't know what will.

cLAYH said:
I pulled my carpet and liner, replaced the rotted out floor on the driver's side and then POR15 both sides and then went over it with HippoLiner. Its a do it yourself box liner that goes on with a brush a roller. Turned out VERY nice! But it IS way louder and there is considerable heat transfer. The hottest spot that I have noticed in NOT the exhaust but the transmission tunnel! On a warm day after wheeling for a while I can'nt put my hand on the transmission tunnel beacuse of the heat tranfer from the automatic tranny.
Thats what Im talking about. The exhaust is a concern, but not as much as the tranny tunnel. That is what I want to try and fix, but am not sure how.

why not pull the carpet, put down some bed liner and when the carpet is dry lay it back in. That way you will protect the floor from rusting and protect yourself from the heat. I haven't done it yet put I plan to in the spring. Think about it, less road noise with the carpet in, less heat with the carpet in, and your floor protected with the bedliner, best of all worlds.

Back