• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad luck

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I'm cursed w/ it, w/out doubt EVERY single time i work on my car and jeep, something goes wrong. I take my time, i'm carefull, i read up first. Anyways, question is, the bolt that holds the rear shackle on....to the frame, not the leaf pack....is it the same stupid design as the front bolt that holds the leaf on?(nut welded inside frame rail?) If so i think i broke the weld. And i dont have a welder or experience cutting and re-welding frames so i guess i'm screwed and have to bring it to the shop again if thats the case. Thanks for any responses on this.

REALLY?! that can be a possibility for me to try. Thanks! Anything to save the garage labor rate so i can keep money in my wallet. LOL

oh, i guess thats better than it just being me, now i dont feel like as big of a screw up in the garage lol....good news though...snapped two bolts so far trying to take off the bumper....forget this job. To the shop it goes! THanks for the help guys.

sounds like my XJ.

start making it a habit to go out 2 days before you start working on something and start spraying it down with PB Blaster. i do it about 3 times a day for 2 days before taking stuff apart. you would be amazed how much easier stuff comes apart. and get yourself a torch. if the bolt seems seized up, heat the nut. that will allow it to expand and the bolt will come out easier. just be carefull doing that around the gas tank or bushings.

around really thick stuff like the axles steering knuckles and stuff like that i take the air hammer with a flat hammer bit (i don't know the actual name, but it has a flat heat on the end) and hammer the area directly around the bolt. that sometimes "shocks" and vibrates the rust loose so the bolts come out easier.

Back